04 KJ P0700 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capeman

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have the P0700 code popping up on my dash. I know this is a general code and i need to scan the car to get a more detailed code (I think) but i wanted to know does a regular OBDII scanner get these transmission codes? I read somewhere abou a DRBIII scanner being needed? I wanted to buy one of those bluetooth OBDII scanners but wasnt sure if it will help me out.

Also a little backstory to the code, I bought this car in November 2018 with 170k miles. When driving on highway speeds 50-60 every 30 seconds or so (sometimes longer) i feel and hear a strange noise like a kicking sound. The car jerks forward ever so slighty as if im hitting a small crack in the road or something. This problem always existed. Now, the car has that kicking feeling when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes to 3rd. I know this isnt normal because my wife also has an 03 KJ which doesnt happen on it.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Also this is my first post. Im happy to join the KJ family!

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!
Generally, the bluetooth OBDII are basic diagnostics only (nothing like trans/srs/abs/airbag or anything covered) and the cheap ones will not last very long and often have problems functioning 100% of the time. Some are good, but lots are bad.

I would try your local parts store, even if you have to try more than one. They should be using a scanner with all of the capabilities that a top of the line retail scanners can offer, if not you may need to go to a different.

If their scanners cant get the code, then the only option may be a dealer or shop with a DRB3. Unfortunately I have not needed to read this code before, so cannot tell you for sure if my Foxwell NT630 could read it, but I doubt it.

Capeman

Reaction score
Welcome!
Generally, the bluetooth OBDII are basic diagnostics only (nothing like trans/srs/abs/airbag or anything covered) and the cheap ones will not last very long and often have problems functioning 100% of the time. Some are good, but lots are bad.

I would try your local parts store, even if you have to try more than one. They should be using a scanner with all of the capabilities that a top of the line retail scanners can offer, if not you may need to go to a different.

If their scanners cant get the code, then the only option may be a dealer or shop with a DRB3. Unfortunately I have not needed to read this code before, so cannot tell you for sure if my Foxwell NT630 could read it, but I doubt it.

Thank you for the info. Because i dont see this as a "big" problem and i mostly do city driving, i unplug the battery to reset the CEL to get it out of limp mode. happened twice within 3 weeks. Would i need the CEL to scan for the trans? will i have to limp it to a parts store/mechanic? or can they read it prior to me unplugged the battery.

And yes i know i shouldnt do this but hey, everything else is fine lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You'll want to take it in before disconnecting the battery...that erases the codes.

To me it sounds like what I had going on with mine with the torque converter went bad. You'll see a PO740 code for that. I'd take it to a trans shop or dealer and have them look at the CVIs (Clutch Value Index). It'll tell you what condition the clutches in the transmission are in.

Capeman

Reaction score
You'll want to take it in before disconnecting the battery...that erases the codes.

To me it sounds like what I had going on with mine with the torque converter went bad. You'll see a PO740 code for that. I'd take it to a trans shop or dealer and have them look at the CVIs (Clutch Value Index). It'll tell you what condition the clutches in the transmission are in.
Alright so i got it scanned .came back as the obvious p0700 and also p0846 &p0871. Which i looked up are two pressure sensors. Would a pressure sensor be causing all this? Do i just buy and replace and im in the clear? Anyone had this before? Thanks

Capeman

Reaction score
so i just called up a local Jeep Dealer. There is only one Transmission Pressure Sensor? but code P0871 and P0846 says pressur sensor switch C & B. Im confused can someone explain how this works?

Capeman

Reaction score
anyone have any insight they can provide for me?

Thanks.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What research have you done?
We are VERY lucky in that the factory service and parts manuals are free and easy to find (I have to pay $40 for 3 days of access to the manuals for my Subaru, buying them would costs thousands).

These manuals have some really great in depth diagnostic and troubleshooting information.

There is 1 extrenal pressure transducer that is easy to replace, but it seems to me that the DTC's point to the internal pressure switch/solenoid pack or a short in the wiring/connectors to that unit.

The internal switch is mounted on top of the valve body inside the trans oil pan so you should plan to change your oil/filters at the same time (there is sticky on that too so you can be sure to get the right parts/ volume).

I strongly recommend going through the troubleshooting steps yourself though (even without all the fancy simulators/diagnostic tools the shop will have, it will help you make sense of what you are seeing).