03 KJ trailer wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Ok well i've ordered my hitch and im going tomorrow and getting my wiring kit but the kit only comes with the flat 4 pin. I hate flat 4 pin i've seen to many of them be pulled off...so i want to know what all will i have to do to make the flat 4 pin into a 7way? This is the wiring kit i'll be buying http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=51949

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~42475.htm?vehicleid=20042402

http://www.etrailer.com/p-30717/Adapter-4-Pole-to-7-Pole-Vehicle-End-Trailer-Connector.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-18156/6-and-7-Way-Trailer-Connector-Mounting-Box-2-12.html

When I got my flat 4 wiring harness it required that I run a + 12 volt up to the battery and the new harness doesnt seem to. The new one and mine both hook where the stock trailer wiring harness would so I guess the new one uses the + 12 volt that the stock trailer harness would. There is a 30amp fuse under the hood for the stock trailer wiring so it may use that. Its good though since I can hook that +12volt up to the accessory on the 7 pin connector and charge batteries on our camper, boats etc.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well i went out to MSI(asc) here in town and bought my wiring harness and i aint seen on like this b4 but i did it like they showed and everything worked and it was like 38.69 so i dont think i got to *****.

Attachments

• wiring harness.jpg
    wiring harness.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 27

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you did pretty well, I bought a used one like that for about 40-50 shipped to my house. Replied on lostjeeps about hooking up the 7blade.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the exact wiring kit that I got from etrailer. Its a good kit. You will need to run that + 12 volt all the way to the battery though. I ran mine under the Jeep in the same brackets the brake lines run in and put it in wire loom. Make 100% sure to keep it away from the exhaust.

You can also run it through the inside but I found it wasnt long enough. You could always splice in some extra wire though.

Also, if youre needing the 7 pin connector for electric trailer brakes(reason I got it) there is a wire ran from under the dash on the drivers side to the connector that you will be hooking your wiring kit into in the back of the Jeep. It should be a blue wire and has a tag on it under the dash that says BRAKE.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
ya i just ran my under the jeep out of the way of everything and zip tied it to the fuel lines so if i was to off road and it get ripped off well then my fuel lines would have too...lol but ya why do you have to run that wire to the battery tho?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what will give the trailer lights power. It uses power straight from the battery instead of using the power that the Jeep uses for its own tail lights. Much better setup. The new kit uses the power that the stock trailer wiring would use which is just as good, just dont have to run the wire. I like ours better since I can use it to charge batteries on trailers also.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Thats what will give the trailer lights power. It uses power straight from the battery instead of using the power that the Jeep uses for its own tail lights. Much better setup. The new kit uses the power that the stock trailer wiring would use which is just as good, just dont have to run the wire. I like ours better since I can use it to charge batteries on trailers also.

ooh well i like that

kuench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~42475.htm?vehicleid=20042402

Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717

6 and 7-Way Trailer Connector Mounting Box, 2-1/2" Draw-Tite Accessories and Parts 18156

When I got my flat 4 wiring harness it required that I run a + 12 volt up to the battery and the new harness doesnt seem to. The new one and mine both hook where the stock trailer wiring harness would so I guess the new one uses the + 12 volt that the stock trailer harness would. There is a 30amp fuse under the hood for the stock trailer wiring so it may use that. Its good though since I can hook that +12volt up to the accessory on the 7 pin connector and charge batteries on our camper, boats etc.

Anyone know if this is compatible with a 2007 Liberty ? Just had the non-hitch installed a couple of weeks ago and am looking around for wiring.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is compatible with a 2007 Liberty ? Just had the non-hitch installed a couple of weeks ago and am looking around for wiring.
I dont see why it wouldnt. You will have to run the extra wires but as long as you have the 4 wire setup already then its just an adapter

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wiring on all of my KJs. Theres no difference that i can tell from the limited to the sport

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The Amazon garage applet seems to tell me that the wiring will work if my Liberty is Limited and not work if it's a Sport. Weird.
The Amazon recommendations are usually pretty good, but not infallible. I've had a couple things pop right in which Amazon assured me "Does NOT fit your Jeep Liberty".

I added my trailer wiring with a different setup, but I believe for the 7-Pin there is another connector somewhere in the back which makes it easy. I'd investigate that, then check to see if I had that extra connector. I do know that lots of people here have done it, I just don't remember what wiring kit they used. (Other than the ones who sprang for the OEM kit.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.