03 jeep liberty speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inuk5huk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my 03 jeep liberty. I'm looking to replace the factory speakers with some aftermarket speakers. Is there anything in particular I have to look out for when buying the speakers dimention wise? I do believe that the factory speakers are 6'5 inches. What about the depth? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.!

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall from an old thread, someone did report that a set of speakers they got were too deep for the speaker space. Also, some have reported needing to slightly modify the opening while others have not. So those are two things you may run into.

neverenuffbass

Reaction score
I believe mounting depth on the front doors is 2.5" on Libertys and 3" in the rear. You can always make spacer rings if the speakers you want are too deep. Here are 1/2" adapters I made

You must be registered for see images

inuk5huk

Reaction score
thanks for the replies! now that I have thought about it more, and seeing that only one of my speakers is "crackling", I plan on just replacing that one with the factory speaker. With that being said, in the meantime I am looking to buy a MTX JH202 Amp and a decent Sub. Will the sound still be alright with the stock speakers ?

neverenuffbass

Reaction score
thanks for the replies! now that I have thought about it more, and seeing that only one of my speakers is "crackling", I plan on just replacing that one with the factory speaker. With that being said, in the meantime I am looking to buy a MTX JH202 Amp and a decent Sub. Will the sound still be alright with the stock speakers ?

I upgrade factory sound all the time by adding an amp & sub. 90% of the time they are back soon after for a speaker upgrade. I think you'd be much happier changing both

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory speakers cost too much. Any regular aftermarket speaker will fit in Jeeps opening. You can also go enter jeep's info over at crutchfield and see which ones fit and just buy and replace them.
If you have premium setup you have to do a little more homework.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to piggyback on this thread as it may help others...

I currently have a 10" sub in a sealed box with a small amp. I'm also runnning a JVC head unit. I am considering ditching the sub and amp in the interest of cargo room.

I'd actually say the stock (non-premium) setup is tolerable in this state, and it's not TOO bad when I run it sub-less...I would like to squeak a little more high volume bass out of the speakers, which seem to start "fuzzing out" a little premature for my taste.

Are there any good suggestions for a reasonable set of speakers that would handle a non-amp setup better than the OEM's? Is this a completely fruitless endeavor? I don't want to add an amp to them...that just takes up space and defeats the purpose of the exercise...I'd just leave it as-is (amp/sub) in that case as I am happy enough with that setup's sound quality.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.