02 Liberty Sport 3.7 V5 upper rear control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I have a 2.5” lift on the front and a 2” on the rear. Absolutely brought the vehicle to life off road. I’m wearing the rear upper control arm bushings out within a year. Thinking of taking my original Mopar arm (vee shaped) and replacing the bushings on each end with Johnny Joints. It’s supposed to increase the range of motion, is greasable and rebuildable. With a lift kit the stock arm has a sharper, downward angle toward the rear axle instead of being level pre lift kit. This sharp angle is brutal on the bushings. So I’m Taking the old arm to a machine shop and see it we can weld in a set. Anybody ever done this ? If so, what were the results ?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a look at iron rock offroad, might save you a lot of trouble.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else here has gone that route, maybe they'll chime in. I think they were happy with it. It's what I plan to eventually do.

Last edited:

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Well I have ordered the rear upper control arm from Iron Rock Offroad ! I went ahead and ordered it with the upgraded bushings that are very similar to a Johnny Joint. Another great feature is the link that holds the fastener to the rear end housing is adjustable so you can correct the angle of the rear axle. They eliminated the ball joint with a beefier ball and socket type of fastener that is also serviceable like the bushings that mount it to the unibody. All attachment points have zero fittings !! You MUST KNOW WHAT MAKE OF REAR AXLE YOU HAVE. The setup they have eliminates the typical ball joint with a bracket ad well and will only fit a Chrysler brand rear axle, not a Dana !! I called a local Jeep dealer to find which I had. He needed the last 8 digits of my VIN# to discern it. The price was not cheap, but neither is wasted time and effort replacing bushings every 6-8 months. Total with the A-arm, upgraded bushings, tax and shipping was just under $500. Any how, it should be here in a couple of weeks and update then ! Happy Jeepin !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have ordered the rear upper control arm from Iron Rock Offroad ! I went ahead and ordered it with the upgraded bushings that are very similar to a Johnny Joint. Another great feature is the link that holds the fastener to the rear end housing is adjustable so you can correct the angle of the rear axle. They eliminated the ball joint with a beefier ball and socket type of fastener that is also serviceable like the bushings that mount it to the unibody. All attachment points have zero fittings !! You MUST KNOW WHAT MAKE OF REAR AXLE YOU HAVE. The setup they have eliminates the typical ball joint with a bracket ad well and will only fit a Chrysler brand rear axle, not a Dana !! I called a local Jeep dealer to find which I had. He needed the last 8 digits of my VIN# to discern it. The price was not cheap, but neither is wasted time and effort replacing bushings every 6-8 months. Total with the A-arm, upgraded bushings, tax and shipping was just under $500. Any how, it should be here in a couple of weeks and update then ! Happy Jeepin !
Fits all 8.25s that came in KJs no difference at all
We do not have either Mopar / Chrysler or Dana not sure where they are even coming up with that B* LOL

I run the JBA bolt on rear trilink kits of two of mine and that do the same thing

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Fits all 8.25s that came in KJs no difference at all
We do not have either Mopar / Chrysler or Dana not sure where they are even coming up with that B* LOL

I run the JBA bolt on rear trilink kits of two of mine and that do the same thing

I checked with JBA and was told they stopped making those. I

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
JBA and several others told me they were discontinued. Not even a returned one still laying around anywhere and I doubt you’d find one in a salvage yard.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick googling with words such as jeep kj and dana 35, didn't spend but a minute on it and it seemed maybe the ones with 3.55 gears could be d35's but those gears were only in manuals and/or CRD's? But like Tom said likely just early years.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I was just looking at iron rock last week. It was one of those down the rabbit hole web dives looking for weird parts. I’m curious about your installation with the A.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I did a quick googling with words such as jeep kj and dana 35, didn't spend but a minute on it and it seemed maybe the ones with 3.55 gears could be d35's but those gears were only in manuals and/or CRD's? But like Tom said likely just early years.
Yes.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
well the new rear suspension came today by Iron Mtn ! Upper arm with upgraded joints and bracket, lower adjustable control arms with the upgraded joint. Going to take it to our shop at work and do the install. What’s going to be the best way to get the new arms the same length as the stock ones ? Anybody put the whole rear setup in from Iron Mtn ? I’ve changed both upper and lower arms but there’s no adjustment on stock ones. Tips appreciated !