'02 KJ Fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, :party33:

Anyone had to replace their fuel pump in their KJ? :icon_frown:If so, what was the notice that you got?:hmm:
Mine made a nasty noise today and the concensious is that it is toast.:plugged:
Just what I need at Christmas. :nutkick:

Oliver

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't heard about too many people having to replace their fuel pumps in the KJ's. What kind of mileage is on yours?

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It has 84000km - 50000 ish miles. Not an uncommon problem as the dealer near me has done one other but far from an epidemic too.
A friend of mine did a fuel pump in his Freelander at about 70000 miles. :freak3:

Oh well.......:shrug:

Oliver

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Yep, sure does seem odd but not unheard of. Like I said, the dealer here has done one and there a couple of guys in Australia that have done them.

But if you think of all the KJs out in the world there will be some failures from some things. Nobody has done a transmission here but I believe there have been a few in the US.

I guess it's just luck of the draw...:freak3:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if in New Zealand your fuels are blended with Ethanol but if so..
Occasionally, I use a marine ethanol fuel stabilizer and water remover, which helps to prolong the life of fuel & pumps by removing the moisture and water on the bottom of tank and extending fuel life for 1 year in storage modes.
Water likes to sit at the bottom of the tank with ethanol fuels (luckily kj is plastic fuel tank)
It is also not a good idea with the electric pumps to run the tank real low on fuel.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

No. No blending here yet except for 1 operator. I tend to keep the tank 1/4 full at least usually it is over 1/2 full - 90% of the time in fact. :icon_arrow:

But the thing loves to :party52: so sometimes it can be a battle :smokin:

They are going to drop the tank next week and change the pump. They will clean out the tank at the same time so :hunter: goes my Christmas present to meself!!:favorites68: Oh wait...i'll have a lovely new fuel pump for folks to listen to and admire....:pp:

Oliver

Members online