02 KJ 3.7LTiming Chain problem.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
I had to have the passenger side head milled a little to fix a defect from the factory.

For some reason I cannot get the timing chain sprocket and chain back onto the cam? Is there a secret to this? Do I have to pull the entire front end off the engine to get it to go on? The drivers side was not touched so the lower timing chain sprocket has not moved( no need to lock it).

1. The cam tensioner's have to be in place before the for the chain and sprocket are bolted on . T or F

2. It seems like there is too much tension on the chain, and not allowing it to travel to spot needed to bolt up the Cam Sprocket.....Please help!!

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me......No one knows anything about the internals of these things?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm right, I think you have to maintain tension on the timing chain once you remove the sprocket from the head or the automatic tensioner for the timing chain will ratchet out. Once that happens you have to remove the timing chain cover to reset them.

I've never touched any of this, but I remember reading it in the FSM.

I'm sure TJKJ2002 will know for sure.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm right, I think you have to maintain tension on the timing chain once you remove the sprocket from the head or the automatic tensioner for the timing chain will ratchet out. Once that happens you have to remove the timing chain cover to reset them.

I've never touched any of this, but I remember reading it in the FSM.

I'm sure TJKJ2002 will know for sure.
Yep gotta get those tensioners pushed back in.