02 Jeep Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtramo

Reaction score
Here is my list, sorry to rant on my first post on this website, but it looks like people here know the know.....

Thunk sound coming during "takeoff" and when coming to a stop. Transmission slip? U-Joint? I took it to one dealership and asked them to check the u-joints and they replaced the driver side ball joint. Still thunks. Next dealership "reprogrammed" the computer and claimed "solenoids" in the trans would be "zeroed out" as per a TSB and that should solve the issue. Still thunks.

Next and most interesting problem.
Check engine light= cyl #2 misfire. 60k miles. Dealer replaced #2 coil pack and a single (!?!) valve spring and retainer on the other side of the motor. Check engine light is now out, and the truck runs fine for a week. Now it smokes and runs funny every now and again, but apparently not for the dealership. No check engine light yet. They claim nothing wrong, but note that "your jeep seems to run hot." Never has for me. They want to replace the T-stat and claim the part is $120.00 (!?!) + labor, but covered under warrenty with the $100 deductible. Excellent.

I am mechanically inclined, but don't need to mess with a car under warrenty. For some reason I think this 5 star jeep dealership is full of crap. They wanted to charge $600+ for a "tune up" or $260 just for spark plugs. No platnums either.

dnm45227

Reaction score
You may want to look into another dealer. Did you get the extended warranty? We got it on our new one and are suposed to get 1600 back at 70,000 miles if we don't use it. If that's the case, they may be trying to get you to forfiet the refund on the warranty.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the rear drums and evaluate the rear brake shoes. My wife's '02 Liberty Sport 4x4 had a "thunk" similar to yours; in her case, it was the rear shoes out of adjustment. A little brake parts cleaner and slight adjustment later, all was fine.
Greg

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a different dealer...that one sounds kind of dodgy. My 02 is starting to get real problematic as well, and my mileage is similar to yours.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, it mostly is fairly annoying but not serious. My check engine light is constantly throwing codes, have to remove the battery cables to reset things. Had these codes checked out at the dealer and they are false, according to the dealers. The windshield wipers work only when they feel like it (front), and the washer system only works in the summer, or after the engine has spent much time warming up, but since it practically never freezes here, don't know what the problem is there. The dome lights blink randomely when it is hot out...that is annoying at night, but OK during the day. There is a TSB on that one I believe, but since I can't get any dealer to reproduce it....well, you know the drill. My Jeep is long since out of warranty, so I haven't wanted to spend the dollars to fix it and with the new job and all, haven't really had time or the inclination to tinker with it. On the flip side, it has never left me stranded, but once in a while, the thing acts like it wants to go into some sort of limp home mode, and has no get up and go, no matter how much gas you give it, but that has only been once or twice, and myself, and dealer haven't been able to reproduce it. Anyway, all of this started happening about 58K miles or so...

I don't like to complain, so I haven't said that much about it, but it has been somewhat troubling...kind of wish I had gotten the extended warranty now...which I don't usually advocate, but oh well #-o

I just kind of figured this is what happens when cars get some miles and a little age on them...to be honest, before this vehicle, I never kept a car longer than 15 months, or at least I should say I had never kept one that was my daily driver any longer than that.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Definately go to another dealer. You could do the tune up yourself for probably $40-50 and about 45 minutes to an hour of your time (never done one on the 3.7 before). They can't claim you've voided your warranty by doing a tune up yourself versus having them do it. Spark plugs and coil packs are general wear and tear items, like your tires and brakes. So what if you dont let them do it? It's not like you're trying to rebuild the engine or something while its still under warranty

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh...

Hey , Yoda!
I have 56K on my '02...should I hold my breath???Hopefully not all the '02s will experiance some sort of problems #-o
Crossing my fingers and keeping the holy water ready to spray the demons.... O:)

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, I hope no one else has the same type of problems. I am sure that they are isolated to mine, I wouldn't worry about if I were you, unless they show up, but be sure and let me know if they do. O:)

dnm45227

Reaction score
I feel your pain on the dome light thing. I found that if a turn the brightness down by about two clicks the interior lights will flicker, but the dome doesn't come on. btw, I'm getting ready to turn 64,000 on the clock. I'm sure going to keep my fingers crossed.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
I feel your pain on the dome light thing. I found that if a turn the brightness down by about two clicks the interior lights will flicker, but the dome doesn't come on. btw, I'm getting ready to turn 64,000 on the clock. I'm sure going to keep my fingers crossed.

The multi-function stalk is defective....had the one on the wife's '02 Liberty Sport 4x4 replaced under warranty. I'd bet with some doughnuts in hand, you could get it covered, too.
Greg

2003KJ

Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
dnm45227 said:

The multi-function stalk is defective....had the one on the wife's '02 Liberty Sport 4x4 replaced under warranty. I'd bet with some doughnuts in hand, you could get it covered, too.
Greg

hmm thats a first for me. Was this just an 02 isloated thing or is it on the other models as well? Interesting to see the little annoyances popping up as people on here and other forums get some miles on em.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
hmm thats a first for me. Was this just an 02 isloated thing or is it on the other models as well? Interesting to see the little annoyances popping up as people on here and other forums get some miles on em.

Can't answer if it's an isolated '02 thing or not...we bought her '02 new in August of 2001. Sometime around December or January of that same year, the problem occured. When we mentioned it to our service writer, he said it was most likely the multi-function stalk----as if there were other instances of the same problem. Sure enough, the multi-function stalk fixed it. I'd guess the KJ only had no more than 7k at most on the odo.
Greg

rc777

Reaction score
"Thunk sound coming during "takeoff" and when coming to a stop."

I also have the same thunk, and it definately feels like drivetrain.
Doesnt happen every time, especially if driving very easy.

84k on mine, and its been there quite a while, not getting worse
real quick but would like to know what it is, and what its going to cost
to fix. ( and whats going to happen if it fails, just had a front wheel
come off after a balljoint failed, not a fuzzy feeling )

2003KJ

Reaction score
The thunk that is referred to in the previous post is normal for Jeeps. Every one i've driven/ridden in has done it. Simply a little bit of slack in the driveline. No worries. Does it especially if you tromp on the go pedel from a dead stop, or if you have to let off the gas in a hurry to stop.

rc777

Reaction score
"The thunk that is referred to in the previous post is normal for Jeeps"

Ahh, its not a problem its a feature.

Glad to hear its common, havent driven any other KJ's

Thanks, rc

Latest posts

Members online