02 Jeep Liberty (Cherokee in Aus) cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep2002noob

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 2002 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.7L Petrol (same as Limited in USA)

Now about a month ago, there were days on and off where a warning light was coming on then disappearing. Checked the obvious (oil levels etc), and checked the Jeep book which doesnt say a whole lot.

I took the car to Jeep whilst the problem was present, and the datalogger said the problem was "Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage". Now they didn't test any further and said that it wasn't a wiring problem, and that the Sensor (TPS) needed to be replaced as it was not giving the correct signals. The car however drove perfect so at this point I did not change it.

Question 1) Do you believe the information provided above accurate considering no other tests were done? (Note I have tried unplugging it and replugging it and no contacts look dirty from what I can see)

Question 2) If it does require replacing, is it as simple as swapping it over plug and play? or does it require a professional to calibrate it or something?!

My second issue is that sometimes while driving the car will completely turn off. Then I have to try over and over again to turn it over and get it started again. Eventually it does.

Question 3) Could it be cutting out due to the first problem listed above? Perhaps it does not know where the throttle is and stalls?!
There has been no other indication of problems via dash lights etc in the last few weeks, and this cut out issue has been over the last couple of days.

Jeep2002noob

Reaction score
Not sure. You think the battery would cause the car to cut out in the middle of driving? I would have thought it would have caused issues like harder cold starts etc. ?

Im leaning towards replacing the TPS mainly because if it does not know where the throttle is, how can it keep the car running, or keep the car idling

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have the original battery (just take a look to see if there's a date stamp on it) then there's a good chance it needs replacing. KJs need good batteries, or they get all kinds of symptoms. That might NOT be the problem, but it's a good place to start looking on an older KJ. A lot of KJs seem to get about 5 or 6 years on their original batteries, some more and some less.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Now about a month ago, there were days on and off where a warning light was coming on then disappearing. Checked the obvious (oil levels etc), and checked the Jeep book which doesnt say a whole lot.

I took the car to Jeep whilst the problem was present, and the datalogger said the problem was "Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage". Now they didn't test any further and said that it wasn't a wiring problem, and that the Sensor (TPS) needed to be replaced as it was not giving the correct signals. The car however drove perfect so at this point I did not change it.

Question 1) Do you believe the information provided above accurate considering no other tests were done? (Note I have tried unplugging it and replugging it and no contacts look dirty from what I can see)

Question 2) If it does require replacing, is it as simple as swapping it over plug and play? or does it require a professional to calibrate it or something?!

My second issue is that sometimes while driving the car will completely turn off. Then I have to try over and over again to turn it over and get it started again. Eventually it does.

Question 3) Could it be cutting out due to the first problem listed above? Perhaps it does not know where the throttle is and stalls?!
There has been no other indication of problems via dash lights etc in the last few weeks, and this cut out issue has been over the last couple of days.

Hi,
I have had 1 instance of a TPS error bringing on the engine check light here in NZ. I used my ScanGauge II and cleared it.
It does sound like you might have an issue with yours. They ain't too expensive, and easy to replace.:D

L

lil black liberty

hmm.. sounds like a problem I had on my old dodge neon... First I replaced the TPS and it helped for a little while.. I replaced a bunch of other stuff and still couldn't figure it out and neither could the mechanics.. so I sold it.. well the guy that bought it lives in my town and I seen him driving it the other day and asked hey you finally fixed it what was it?? It was the Ground going from the Alternator to the battery (So they said) and it went to working.. but I'd check all your wiring first and if it's not a wire thats partially burnt in two or something change out that TPS..

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys

Not sure. You think the battery would cause the car to cut out in the middle of driving? I would have thought it would have caused issues like harder cold starts etc. ?

Im leaning towards replacing the TPS mainly because if it does not know where the throttle is, how can it keep the car running, or keep the car idling

Just sayin'