02 GC "not ready" for emissions inspection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LPacker79

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated I'm about to pull my hair out! My BF has an 02 GC Laredo, and I've been trying to get the emissions inspection done for nearly a month now.

He replaced the battery in the summer, and now I apparently have to reset some sensors to get it ready for the emissions inspection.

The first time I was told it wasn't ready the inspector told me to take it out on the highway and go 60mph for 30 minutes. Let it sit overnight and then repeat. So I did that. Still not ready for inspection. This guy told me to go 70mph for 30 minutes and then retest. So I did that yesterday. In fact, I went 45 minutes instead of 30, and then turned around and came home doing the same thing.

Keep in mind that I'm wasting a ton of gas doing this since I have to drive pretty far out to find highway that I can even go that fast on without running into traffic jams. After all that it's still not ready for inspection, and all the guys at the shop (3 shops so far) can tell me is to just keep doing the driving thing.

Any ideas? The whole time I'm doing this, my BF has been driving my Libby and I'm not happy!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Mine does this after the battery is disconnected. It even lets me know it's not "ready"... but I don't think the WJ does that.

Anyways... after a few drives / days, it becomes "ready" again. Takes about a week of normal everyday driving for my Jeep.

LPacker79

Reaction score
It's been months since the battery was replaced. Either this is one stubborn Jeep or BF's everyday driving isn't good enough. He drives about 15 miles one way to work, and it takes about an hour in traffic. Lots of stop and go.

The printout the guys gave me says the Catalyst and the HO2 sensor aren't ready.

LPacker79

Reaction score
I took the GC to the dealership on Wednesday because the "check engine" light had turned on and it definitely wouldn't pass inspection with that.

Turns out one of the oxygen sensors had gone out. I had that fixed as well as had the 90,000 mile maintenance stuff done. I'm hoping that fixing that oxygen sensor will make it ready for emissions testing on Saturday after having the BF drive it back and forth to work yesterday and today.

Latest posts

Members online