'02 Cherokee (Liberty to you guys) trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just in the last couple of days (and only once /day), I have noticed my trans clunk down to low after I have stopped. I know the rear end thump many get and mine has had since new. This ISN'T it.:shakehead: Yesterday was warm and it was a decided clunk. Today was a much lighter version. :disgust:

It had the trans fluid and filter done at the dealers :happy175: about a month ago. They DON'T flush but drain and do the filter. SO I know the correct fluid was used.

Anyone like to comment or point me in any direction?:emotions33:

Oliver

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a clunk or pop like that for a while. I never found the source, but it went away on its own after I flushed the power steering with fresh ATF.

I have a manual transmission and have changed the fluid recently as well. What is yours?

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Mine is a Limited 3.7 auto. All the fluids are up to level as it had the 96000km 'big' service done on time.

Occaisonaly it rattles on startup for a couple of seconds but not always.

Oliver:party52:

BIRDMAN

Reaction score
i believe it's the slack in your slip yoke that is binding up and then releasing when you stop or start. basically the drive shaft is moving in and out causing the clunk. i believe a good lube of the slip yoke will remedy this, but you'll definitely need to do it again as a regular maintenance. not sure if this what you meant by "rear end clunk" but the ouput shaft and slip yoke aren't in the rear end so...

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you. I'm not convinced they aren't related now that you set me thinking again. The thump from the 'rear' is probably what you are reffering to as my XJ does it as well. :freak3:

This was definately from the trans, but I never felt the thump on the occasions that it happened.....:disgust: