#4 speed was gone in fan, now all are.. still resistor block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:3681700093_1f8b56e8

I posted this at the end of the howto thread as well, but I don't think it gets read as much.. Anyway, when I bought the Liberty a couple of years ago, I noticed that the #1 speed either didn't work or was so low it wasn't audible over road noise etc. At the time someone suggested the resistor block, but it was a minor annoyance so I left it. Recently I started using the vehicle more since my wife got a company vehicle supplied to her, and noticed the #4 setting was also not working, and yesterday my wife went to use the vehicle and none of the speeds are working.

I was under the impression that #4 speed should work no matter what if the problem is the resistor block, but I'm thinking if it is a fuse then the #2 and #3 speeds should not have worked either. I don't have an OM with this vehicle, so I'm not sure which fuse to look at - and I ordered a resistor block anyway so I'll put it in when I get a chance.

If it's not the resistor block, any other ideas where to look?

thanks in advance..

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:3681700093_1f8b56e8

I posted this at the end of the howto thread as well, but I don't think it gets read as much.. Anyway, when I bought the Liberty a couple of years ago, I noticed that the #1 speed either didn't work or was so low it wasn't audible over road noise etc. At the time someone suggested the resistor block, but it was a minor annoyance so I left it. Recently I started using the vehicle more since my wife got a company vehicle supplied to her, and noticed the #4 setting was also not working, and yesterday my wife went to use the vehicle and none of the speeds are working.

I was under the impression that #4 speed should work no matter what if the problem is the resistor block, but I'm thinking if it is a fuse then the #2 and #3 speeds should not have worked either. I don't have an OM with this vehicle, so I'm not sure which fuse to look at - and I ordered a resistor block anyway so I'll put it in when I get a chance.

If it's not the resistor block, any other ideas where to look?

thanks in advance..

Pretty sure it will be the resistor block. I have seen on one of the Jeep forums (cant find the link now!) that it is best to replace the resistor block with one from some other Chrysler vehicle....cheaper part and is more robust.
I will try to find the link but it may be too late if you have already ordered the part. my 2002 CRD is still going strong as far as the blower fan is concerned.

What year model is your KJ so perhaps we can help you out with the correct circuit diagram/fuses etc.?

Edit to add the Link: www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47156

Last edited:

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it will be the resistor block. I have seen on one of the Jeep forums (cant find the link now!) that it is best to replace the resistor block with one from some other Chrysler vehicle....cheaper part and is more robust.
I will try to find the link but it may be too late if you have already ordered the part. my 2002 CRD is still going strong as far as the blower fan is concerned.

What year model is your KJ so perhaps we can help you out with the correct circuit diagram/fuses etc.?

Edit to add the Link: www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47156

Thanks - it's an 04..

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to replace my resistor module. My #1 and 2 settings were not working.

That fixed it.

Since you say your lower settings were not working, you wouldn't be wasting your money if you replace the block in the hopes that it also gets #4 working.

That would be the first thing I would try. I paid $30 for my resistor block at a local auto parts store. Too bad you don't live closer. I'd let you try mine to see if it helps.

EDIT: Just read the thread in the link. Wow, I wish I read that a couple days ago. Oh well, in a couple years when mine fails again, hopefully I'll remember this and get the better part.

Last edited:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In response to Billwill (and all those interested):

Stronger part should be that of Chrysler Sebring (5174124AA) and no, it ain't cheaper...