Under Hood Detail Paint & Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan to both of our rigs, did some nice "Yellow" detail work on the 3.7 & Caution Fan under hood!
Meanwhile he discovers that even though we both have 04 models his has the heavy duty shroud and electric fan with out the clutch fan.
Strange how that one works...oops we will just use this one?
39727[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• RyanPaintWork.jpg
    RyanPaintWork.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan to both of our rigs, did some nice "Yellow" detail work on the 3.7 & Caution Fan under hood!
Meanwhile he discovers that even though we both have 04 models his has the heavy duty shroud and electric fan with out the clutch fan.

OK, wait a minute. Ryan, your Jeep has the larger shroud but no mechanical fan? Did your rig come with the factory tow package (hitch, wiring harness, etc?)

Did a previous owner take off the mechanical fan - or did you buy your Libby new and that's the way it came off the lot?

Personally I'd be quite tempted to put a mechanical fan and clutch back on for the extra cooling and peace of mind. But hey I'm OCD... :freak3:

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan,Jen & I want to head off next weekend to Gary's Auto wrecking and see if they may have the mechanical fan/clutch assembly.
With his winch up front blocking much of rad, it would definitely be "cool" to find one!
Ryan bought the rig used so it really is unknown what happened. I cant comment on factory trailer package, leave that up to Ry, to post back.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm, interesting, I think I might get the paint brush out too...again.
This past weekend I painted both my front LCAs and the rear driveshaft...flat black

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
OK, wait a minute. Ryan, your Jeep has the larger shroud but no mechanical fan? Did your rig come with the factory tow package (hitch, wiring harness, etc?)

Did a previous owner take off the mechanical fan - or did you buy your Libby new and that's the way it came off the lot?

Personally I'd be quite tempted to put a mechanical fan and clutch back on for the extra cooling and peace of mind. But hey I'm OCD... :freak3:

Bob

We bought our Jeep when it was two years old.
It didn't come with the factory hitch or trailer wiring. But
according to Chrysler, it came with the H/D fan shroud, just not
the H/D fan! It also has a lower profile electric fan fitted.(Compared
to the electric fan fitted to Tim's 2004 KJ.)
I will most definitely be fitting a viscous fan to the engine.

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know I've never given the stuff under the hood much attention but after seeing those pics I'm now interested in cleaning & detailing the engine bay. Thanks for the idea.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for everytime this forum has made me go out to the garage and look at my Jeep, I'd have a thicker wallet.

What type of paint did you use? Let us know how it holds up in the long run

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got r done. All in red.
On another note, how do I know which fan I have? I have the shroud like the one in the right pic but don't know which fan

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got r done. All in red.
On another note, how do I know which fan I have? I have the shroud like the one in the right pic but don't know which fan

If there is a fan attached to the pulley that drives the cams then you have the mechanical fan. More accurately, there will be a clutch attached to this pulley and a fan attached to the clutch.

You can see what I'm talking about on Tim's Jeep in the picture on the left; it's the threaded, slightly rusty extension on the black pulley in the center. If there is a clutch and fan attached to that pulley then you have HD cooling like what would come with the factory tow package.

If there is only an electric fan in the shroud then your situation is like Ryan. Somehow you got the heavy duty shroud but only the standard electric fan. Like Ryan is planning to do, if you can find a Libby at a salvage yard with the mechanical fan grab it and install it. Extra cooling with little cost.

Bob

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing that same thing with the 3.7L and the Jeep on the airbox.

Been planning on it for two years. Just haven't taken time to do it yet.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, interesting. I only have the electric one too. Anyone have a pic of what the mechanical an looks like when mounted?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
If I had a dollar for everytime this forum has made me go out to the garage and look at my Jeep, I'd have a thicker wallet.

What type of paint did you use? Let us know how it holds up in the long run

I used a Laco Markal Valve Action Paint Marker.
The paint dries fast and I gave it three coats to deepen the colour
and give it a little more three dimensional effect.
I have also used them on raised tire lettering and work very well, lasts
long, but on tires you might need to touch up from time to time.
Here's a link
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/paintMarkers.htm

Here's a link you all the Canuks.
$4.49 per pen at Princess Auto.
http://www.princessauto.com/worksho...king/6410017-yellow-valve-action-paint-marker

Make sure to clean the plastic with some sticker/adhesive remover,
lacquer thinner or a silicon wax/pollish remover.
USE CAUTION so that you do not chemically melt the plastic.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan, I look forward in you obtaining one in Red for "Jeep" Lettering on air box.
That is going to look "Hot" with the yellow already completed!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this may be a silly question, but those really are my favorite kind. What do you use to clean the engine and all of it's goodness? I will lift the hood and wipe down the overlapping metal when I give Mr. Darcy a bath but I'm always terrified to really touch anything that has a real purpose. Do you just hose it down? Can I use my magical Dr. Mechanico in there? Is there anything I need to not touch with anything in particular? I think some engine accents would look sweet but not until he's sparkling under there :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
39744[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks good....hmmmmmmmmmm

Dave

Attachments

• RyanPaintWork.jpg
    RyanPaintWork.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Kitty,
For Cleaning, after wheeling, I use power washer, so hosing it down no problem.
That is where to begin. I prefer to use a bag over the alternator, but heck it's got wet be4.
While washing soap & water on small sponge works wonders/rinse.
Then it is onto drying and fine cleaning detail, using Fantastic or simple green on greasy plastics etc.
Then for the shiny look, Armorall on a small torn off piece of sponge, on most stuff makes it all good again.
It can take 2 hours to do it part by part.