should i install an electric CRD fan on my V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

we are having a terrible summer. it's starting now and it's death valley hot - we have 111.2 degrees (we are metric- that's 44 degrees celsius hot).

My cooling system is really well built - got me an aluninium rad that holds one extra litre- severe duty fan clutch and a mishimoto thermostat. and they work real well as long as i am on the move. I am using a digital temp gauge installed on the motor so i know the REAL temp. i dont trust the factory gauge ever since my last rig blew a hose during a highway drive- and it was bye bye motor in less than 2 minutes.

Anyway - it's all good when i am on the move but in heavy traffic with the AC on - i can see the jeep starting to work hotter (not overheating - just real hot).

So it's obvious i need airflow to the rad from outside.

I have noticed that unlike my V6 - the CRD came with a fan in front of the rad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-MO...m=361855556720&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Did anyone try to fit one of those? Does it lower the temp?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so you have aluminum rad with clutch fan, do you still also have the OEM electric fan working as well?
Keep in mind up front is the condensor but any fan pushing air in would be helpful stuck in traffic.
Louvers cut into the hood would also help to remove the under hood mega trapped heat.
Not overheating - just real hot...what temps is it hitting ?

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so you have aluminum rad with clutch fan, do you still also have the OEM electric fan working as well?
Keep in mind up front is the condensor but any fan pushing air in would be helpful stuck in traffic.
Louvers cut into the hood would also help to remove the under hood mega trapped heat.
Not overheating - just real hot...what temps is it hitting ?

Hello

I do have the OEM electric fan.

I did remove the under hood carpet (i dont know what u guys call it in the US)

I have to say - the temp gauge does not go into the red and it does not cross the half mark - just like winter time - but the head has reached 101 degrees celsius with AC.(i checked it once- the temp gauge will only start moving when you hit about 105....106 degrees on the head- that is kind of like saying "hey look - you have 3 seconds to save your motor...oops") from what i have been reading - about 110 degrees are enough to warp the head. When i shut the AC off the temp will drop to normal in 3 minutes (about 85 degrees celsius in the summer and as low as 55 degrees celsius in winter time when it is snowing)

I wonder if there is a way to "trick" the electric fan into working earlier. but then again....those are all fans that PULL air from the rad - i need one that pushes air into it from outside the engine bay.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually think a stock Mopar radiator cools better (I seem to recall reading that somewhere). I've wheeled mine in temps over 100 degrees and always have the AC on full blast, never goes above one tick below half.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheeled into Joshua Tree through one of the National Park service roads and it was 118-120 that day. The temp gauge never crossed the halfway point, but after about 1 hour, the AC decided that it was done working, and didn't work for the rest of the day. Next day, started her up and the AC was working again, never figured that one out.

Doubt that many folks will ever be out in 118 degree weather, rock climbing in 4-lo, and putting the pedal to the floor climbing sandy hills, and if they do, I hope their cooling system is up to *****. Seems to me like your system is running properly, and doesn't need any additional fans.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try to remove the hood rubber seal, real hot air will now escape from gap.
61705[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Worried about cyl head temps= cutting into hood and voila "run cool" under the hood for good.
61707[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Link to run cools: LOST JEEPS • View topic - Installing Run Cool Hood Vents.

Attachments

• 5QZVJLj.jpg
    5QZVJLj.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 0
  • LLCn2Ir.jpg
    LLCn2Ir.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0

nagami

Reaction score
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheeled into Joshua Tree through one of the National Park service roads and it was 118-120 that day. The temp gauge never crossed the halfway point, but after about 1 hour, the AC decided that it was done working, and didn't work for the rest of the day. Next day, started her up and the AC was working again, never figured that one out.

Doubt that many folks will ever be out in 118 degree weather, rock climbing in 4-lo, and putting the pedal to the floor climbing sandy hills, and if they do, I hope their cooling system is up to *****. Seems to me like your system is running properly, and doesn't need any additional fans.

I've wheeled in MOAB at over 100 degrees,come of the slick rock which felt more like 150+ degrees(tire temps reaching 200 degrees) with the AC full bore all day with zero issues and only the stock electric cooling fan.Temps never reached above 199 degrees with a stock MOPAR radiator.

As for the OP all V6 KJ's came standard with a electric cooling fan which is the main cooling fan.The mechanical fan is a AUX cooling fan for towing,stock clutch did not even "lock" till 230 degrees.Put the main cooling fan back on ASAP,that is the electric cooling fan.

Latest posts

Members online