Mr. Darcy no longer accepting passengers... Door won't open!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this on an old thread http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44384 but it's not getting any action :disgust: so I thought I'd put it up again on it's own thread with a better title.

Mr. Darcy has stopped accepting front passengers! :shrug: Sometime between Monday night when I got home and Tuesday morning when I got to work my front passenger door won't unlock. Seems like the same problem as described by krevo only it's stuck in the lock position and it's only the front passenger door.

Soooo.... Any help would be very much appreciated And for the record, I don't really understand the tests that were suggested to krevo in the thread I copied but if that's what I need to do I'll send the information to the boy.

Thanks!

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help, sorry

but you can try sending a message to Krevo from the other thread, then he might let you know what fixed his problem

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only removed the door panel for speaker installation and I didn't look really close at the locking/catch mechanisms. The inside door handle has a plastic clip that attaches it to the hasp mechanism to open the door. If that rod fell off, the door would not open from the inside (locked or not) but I think it would from the outside. Does it feel like the tumbler or the lock itself has a little resistance to turn? Do you hear any clicking when you turn the lock with the key? If you pull on the inside door handle does it feel exactly the same as the other side? Have you removed the door panel before for speaker install or rattle repair or anything. Did you lock your keys in your car and someone used a slim jim or coat hanger to open it? Do they lock and unlock manually with the pin at the top of the door? Maybe someone will jump in with a little more info.

Last edited:

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem before on the driver's side back door. It happened on a very cold day... the door refused to unlock except when u pulled up the plunger by hand. But if u used the power door locks either the remote or the button it would just make a very loud squeal.

One day I just pulled the door trim off and peeled the water dam away. It was just one one unit with several rods and a wiring harness built into it. The door strike, actuator, lock are all built into it. I just went to the dealer and bought another one, don't remember the cost but I think it was over $100, and it even came with the three rods attached. Simple install tho, just remove the 3 big screws, unhook the rods and the wiring harness. The only problem is you might snap off one of the cheap plastic door trim clips when you take the door apart. There's a door trim removal tool to help with that. Its a straightforward repair tho

Oddly enough when I picked up the new door lock from the dealer it was a bit different then the old one. It was noticeably heavier then the old one and the finish was different on it.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update for anyone who is interested in the problem... (This is also in my member journal) I had to take Mr. Darcy in for an E-brake adjustment and they made an appointment for him to go see an electrician. He'll be going there today at 3 so hopefully they'll tell me what the problem was. The guy said something about a switch but they were too busy to go into any detail. We are very lucky because even though I'm out of my warranty with the people I bought him from they've been so busy the past few weeks that they're still honoring it, so that means all repairs for the price of on the house!

Although while Mr. Darcy has been at his sleepover (left him yesterday afternoon, probably getting him back tomorrow) I really miss him! They gave me a wrangler to drive and it just doesn't feel right :(

greywarden

Reaction score
looks like i dont have any choice but to look for an independent mechanic to take a look on my jeep. honestly i dont wanna pay may dealer $100 for a very simple repair like that. any guides on how to remove my jeep door handles? maybe i could just do this alone. i just hope i wont be braking anything inside.lol btw my name is gray

Last edited: