Problems with my 2004 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krevo

Reaction score
So, my auto locks have been crazy for about the last year or so. They will automatically actuate at random times and one day recently when I tried to lock the car they didn't move.

What's really weird is they are physically stuck in the unlock position and don't move when pressing on them. According to Chrysler, this Jeep doesn't fall into the 2004 Automatic Locks Actuator / Body Control Module recall (censored):rolleyes: According to the recall it says the BCM causes the locks to actuate randomly due to the keyless entry and eventually will burn out or seize the actuators on the locks.

So, is this an easy fix? I'm relatively technical and I need my f**king car doors to lock when I go places. (it's really pretty sad that I can't even physically push the lock in place ffs)help!.gif

Last edited:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
It will take some time but i see that you are new

(welcome) now go to the right thread and tell everybody about you and your KJ! and then but your problem it there with that somebody shoud help then!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine would have that problem too... but I found that it was the OEM battery on it's way out that caused the intermittent locking.

krevo

Reaction score
Mine would have that problem too... but I found that it was the OEM battery on it's way out that caused the intermittent locking.

See, I replaced the OEM battery after about a year of intermittent lock issues. I believe the lock issues might've caused my OEM battery to croak since the overhead lights would come on randomly.

I'm just wondering if a regular auto parts store would carry these door lock actuators and whether or not it's a pretty easy fix.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the switches are made for our Liberty's but I've read of several different electrical problems being caused by flaky switches. Maybe one of your door lock switches is stuck on, but then that would overheat your door locks solenoids and drain the battery.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe pull the fuse for the locks and see if you can then manually lock and unlock the doors? If that works then at least its just the actuators stuck in the lock position because voltage is still applied.

I think LibertyFever has it right, its a door switch. I would pull the switch panel off the drivers side door and disconnect the lock switch. Since the drivers side switch affects all the locks it would seem to me thats probably the bad switch if there is a bad one.

krevo

Reaction score
Are the door lock actuators on a Jeep Liberty "pneumatic" by chance?

When I try to push down on the back door locks themselves, they won't go down at all. But they give a little, almost like they're spongy. I push them in, and the spring right back up into the unlock position. Something is holding them both in the unlock position.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So, my auto locks have been crazy for about the last year or so. They will automatically actuate at random times and one day recently when I tried to lock the car they didn't move.

What's really weird is they are physically stuck in the unlock position and don't move when pressing on them. According to Chrysler, this Jeep doesn't fall into the 2004 Automatic Locks Actuator / Body Control Module recall (censored):rolleyes: According to the recall it says the BCM causes the locks to actuate randomly due to the keyless entry and eventually will burn out or seize the actuators on the locks.

So, is this an easy fix? I'm relatively technical and I need my f**king car doors to lock when I go places. (it's really pretty sad that I can't even physically push the lock in place ffs)help!.gif

Have said it a million times. The only people that have problems out of their Jeeps are those who call them cars.

It's been documented many times on this very website hump.gif

ThunderbirdJunkie would third the faulty switch as the prognosis from what he's read, but the only way to tell is to replace switches and find out the hard way.

krevo

Reaction score

but the switch opens the front driver sides lock just fine. it locks and unlocks.

the passenger side door and both back doors do not work at all. the problem is really hard to explain.

1. front drivers side lock works fine.

2. front passenger side lock does not lock or unlock but can be manually pressed down to lock and pulled up to unlock.

3. the 2 back door locks will not go down if i try to push them. the locks do not move them at all, nor do i hear anything in the door when i press the lock button.

4. 5th door on the back locks and unlocks just fine with the lock switch.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. If this was me this is what I would do. Remove power to the door locks by removing the fuse or to be sure just disconnect the battery. See if you can push the lock stem down on your back doors. If you can push them down you are lucky and the actuators are still good. If you still cannot push them down they are burned out and you need new lock actuators for the rear doors. Either way you need to test the wiring with a multimeter to see what the heck is going on back there.

I may be wrong, but you still need to eliminate the door lock switches as the problem and I will leave that to an expert to decide.

edit: there are also relays to check as well. Test the relays. I think there are three, one for the driver, one for front passenger and then one for both back doors (which makes sense). Does anyone know what relay is for the rear door locks? I'm basing this off of an '06 FSM.

Last edited:

krevo

Reaction score
ok. If this was me this is what I would do. Remove power to the door locks by removing the fuse or to be sure just disconnect the battery. See if you can push the lock stem down on your back doors. If you can push them down you are lucky and the actuators are still good. If you still cannot push them down they are burned out and you need new lock actuators for the rear doors. Either way you need to test the wiring with a multimeter to see what the heck is going on back there.

I may be wrong, but you still need to eliminate the door lock switches as the problem and I will leave that to an expert to decide.

edit: there are also relays to check as well. Test the relays. I think there are three, one for the driver, one for front passenger and then one for both back doors (which makes sense). Does anyone know what relay is for the rear door locks? I'm basing this off of an '06 FSM.

Yah, I pulled the door panels off last night to get a look at the door lock actuators. Pretty sure they're hosed.

Where exactly is the relay for the door locks? Is it in the fuse panel? I'm going to replace/test it first and buy the new actuators this weekend. It's just really awful having a set a golf clubs in my Jeep and knowing I can't even manually lock the doors. That's a horrible feeling.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If somebody knew your golf clubs were in there and they wanted them, with the doors locked they'd break your window and take them. Locks don't stop thieves unless they're stupid (like the ones that tried to break into ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ)

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I see that this is a pretty old thread but now I need help with a similar problem. Mr. Darcy has stopped accepting front passengers! Sometime between last night when I got home and this morning when I got to work my front passenger door won't unlock. Seems like the same problem as described by krevo only it's stuck in the lock position and it's only the front passenger door.

Soooo.... Any help would be very much appreciated :) And for the record, I don't really understand the tests that were suggested to krevo but if that's what I need to do I'll send the information to the boy.

Latest posts

Members online