Looking for Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for what to replace when doing the serp belt

I am getting the ac compressor/ A/C Accumulator/Drier / A/C Expansion Device as well as the vacuum and recharge

so after replacing that I figure it would be a good time to replace the serp belt,
is this fairly easy to do? I have done drum/disk brakes and trans services
replace tensioner?
replace idler?

any recommendations on what to replace?
where from, prefer either Napa, advance auto, or autozone, carquest,
Part numbers would be great too,
thanks again

02 jeep liberty renegade
v6 3.7L 4x4

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the serp belt if fantastically easy. Put a socket on the tensioner (1/2" I think) and pull clockwise on it which will release the tension. Pull old belt off, put new one on.

Replacing the tensioner is an assembly which should contain the idler pulley with it (if you buy the full assembly). I believe TJkj reccomends the dayco(?) tensioner which I think you can order from www.rockauto.com for about $50 US.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot

looking at the
Belt Drive : Belt Tensioner (picture on rock auto and description on other sites same part number show the 3 piece assembly)
DAYCO Part # 89254 {#89254FN}

and
Belt Drive : Serpentine Belt
DAYCO Part # 5060875 {Exceeds OE Specifications Effective Length 87.60 / Top Width .82 / No of Ribs 6 / Thickness 0.169}
Multiple Accessory

do they seem to be right, or should I look for the OEM belt/gates?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot

looking at the
Belt Drive : Belt Tensioner (picture on rock auto and description on other sites same part number show the 3 piece assembly)
DAYCO Part # 89254 {#89254FN}

and
Belt Drive : Serpentine Belt
DAYCO Part # 5060875 {Exceeds OE Specifications Effective Length 87.60 / Top Width .82 / No of Ribs 6 / Thickness 0.169}
Multiple Accessory

do they seem to be right, or should I look for the OEM belt/gates?
The tensioner will be okay but stay far away from Dayco belts.Get a OEM belt or a Gates EPDM belt only,well worth the extra $$$.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like TJKJ said. Pay a little more and get a good belt.

Also, do both pulleys and tensioner while you are there.

When one of my pulleys went bad (I have an 06) I decided to replace them both. After going to three different parts stores, I found nobody stocked, and some of them didn't even list, the second pulley. Finally one of the more experienced clerks went back and started going through boxes until he found a match.

Anyway, two new pulleys and three months later, the tensioner spring broke and it kicked the new belt off all together. Fortunatlly there was no damage to the new belt, but there was no way to fix it on the roadside either. Towed it home (wife was close when it happened) and an hour later (includes trip to parts store) and it was up and running again.

Save the grief - If funds permit, replace it all while you're there. Also, throw that old belt in your "spare parts / tool bag" It could be a lifesaver on the trail (or highway) some day.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score