Shelf for cargo area..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to making the shelf for the rear that Ive always wanted..

Ended up getting a 2x4 sheet of 1/2in plywood, a 1x4 dowel rod, some 1.5in wood screws, and some automotive Grey carpet from walmart..

We cut the plywood to 45 1/2in x 19 1/2in.. The dowel rod was cut to 45 1/2in also. The dowel rod was flattened on one side and then screwed to the edge of the plywood(be sure to pre-drill).

You must be registered for see images attach

I grabbed a bunch of different types of screws just in case. I ended up using the 1.5in screws:

Table saws makes quick work of cutting the plywood and making a flat side on the dowel:

The edge chipped when we cut it, its good and flat the rest of the way:

We put two screws in from the bottom and 3 more down from the top. All of the holes were pre-drilled:

Ive got some extra carpet that Ill cover up the rest with. I was in a hurry to get it done since it was getting dark:

Materials were under $25.. O:)

Tell me what ya think! \:D/

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, that looks really good jeepjeepster. =D>

Maybe I missed a previous discussion of this project, but what is the purpose of the dowel? Does it fit in the slots for the OEM cover or just for a finished edge?

I think I may be a copycat here....unless you have a patent on it already (biggrin)

Paul
________
grape ape

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ups4 said:
Hey, that looks really good jeepjeepster. =D>

Maybe I missed a previous discussion of this project, but what is the purpose of the dowel? Does it fit in the slots for the OEM cover or just for a finished edge?

I think I may be a copycat here....unless you have a patent on it already (biggrin)

Paul

The plywood wouldnt be very strong without it. It would probably bend in the middle with any amount of weight on it. I haul around alot of stuff back and forth from school..

The dowel rod fits nice and tight down into the slots which also keeps the plywood from moving around. O:)

Edit: haha, I dont have a patent on it.. YET.. \:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks great man, another neat project.

Y-Guy

Reaction score
Looks sweet! I'm wanting something to cover that area since I didn't get the cover with mine. May have to see if I can find some material that matches the Khaki interior and make one too. Thanks for the details!

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished mine yesterday! I pretty much did the same as you. I used birch ply and strengthened the edges with poplar so it doesn't sag. I used an inch dowel for support that the shelf sits on it. I think I spent $40.00...

One tool box for tools the other is my emergency kit.
You must be registered for see images

You can see the velcro strap (there are two) that attach to the dowel underneath.

This is the corner back that attaches to the seat catches (velcro)

This is underneath

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awsome chetos. I didnt cut the slot in mine to fit around the rear part though. It slides back into the slots, so I only have around a 2in gap in either side.

If I had it to do over, I would of cut the slots to make it wider. ](*,) Doesnt really matter though, it just doesnt look as good. Small stuff could fall off of it. :-s

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Looks awsome chetos. I didnt cut the slot in mine to fit around the rear part though. It slides back into the slots, so I only have around a 2in gap in either side.

If I had it to do over, I would of cut the slots to make it wider. ](*,) Doesnt really matter though, it just doesnt look as good. Small stuff could fall off of it. :-s

An easy fix is to get some strips of wood and put some velcro (I love the stuff!) on the bottom and you can attach them to the edges and nothing rolls off. What's up the machete and ski pole? Some 007 on the slopes? =D>

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chetos said:
jeepjeepster said:

An easy fix is to get some strips of wood and put some velcro (I love the stuff!) on the bottom and you can attach them to the edges and nothing rolls off. What's up the machete and ski pole? Some 007 on the slopes? =D>

Ya never know when those may come in handy. I like to take hikes and stuff. Never know when I may just stop and take one.

I like to go offroading too. machete helps to clear the trail.. O:)

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey jeep jeepster! taking all the credit for my idea i see! in case yas forgot i was the first one to do this shelf. Looks like im gonna have to get a patent lol. that carpet from walmart is good stuff huh? once the spring hits i'll be finishing up my shelf. its still going through the testing phase lol. Chetos thats a really good idea with the velcro straps. =D> i just use brackets.

heres the pics to refresh your memories.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4298&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
hey jeep jeepster! taking all the credit for my idea i see! in case yas forgot i was the first one to do this shelf. Looks like im gonna have to get a patent lol. that carpet from walmart is good stuff huh? once the spring hits i'll be finishing up my shelf. its still going through the testing phase lol. Chetos thats a really good idea with the velcro straps. =D> i just use brackets.

heres the pics to refresh your memories.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4298&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yep, you were the evil mastermind behind this project. Thanks for the idea. I was really surprised at how strong the shelf really is. We're leaving for Wyoming in a couple of days and that shelf will be a godsend for our two daughters. It will be easy for them to reach behind and grab books, cd's, movies...and the back won't look like a tornado went through.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What else are you wanting to do to it? Make it better like mine?? \:D/

Haha, yea, I didnt think I was going to be able to find the carpet. The first walmart only had the tan.. So I had to try a different one and they had it. Thanks for the heads up. O:)

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanna reinforce the bottom with some fiberglass and also figure out a better way of securing the shelf in place instead of the brackets. You couldve went with it being 48" wide and made the notches for the corners. I still cant believe my friend was able to make the corners rounded off with a circular saw! lol.

You are right it is a godsend when u need to grab something from back there. It looks really good. And the best part is that you dont have to drill into the interior at all and it just simply pops out if you need all of your cargo room.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and bought some materials today for my own shelf. I'll probably throw it together when I go home for spring break. Bought the same carpet from Walmart, except black. I have the plywood and dowel at home. Bought some hooks for tie downs, cargo net, etc. (never can have enough places to hook a bungee cord or two). Also, two conduit clamps to secure the shelf to the dowel, and two small 90 degree brackets to hook into the backseat bracket. I'm going to add some walls to it made of 2x4's, just because I don't like the idea of those back windows being the boundary for stuff to slide around into. If I have any free time this week I'll make a quick AutoCAD drawing of it.

-Ryan

P.S. The idea for this is awsome!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I love the thing. Since I have a sub that take up half of my cargo area its a huge help. Its like I have the old cargo area back with alittle extra beside the sub!

I usually only carry suit cases and laundry baskets so I dont need to worry about things sliding into the windows. I also have a fire extinguisher on one side of it now so stuff cant slide that way anymore.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I love the thing. Since I have a sub that take up half of my cargo area its a huge help. Its like I have the old cargo area back with alittle extra beside the sub!

I usually only carry suit cases and laundry baskets so I dont need to worry about things sliding into the windows. I also have a fire extinguisher on one side of it now so stuff cant slide that way anymore.

Looks like the machete hasnt moved from when you first posted :)

dloc_jeep_KJ

Reaction score
so how did u attach the rear jeepjeepster? im not sure velcro would hold up that well. ive seen a few brackets made but i was just wondering how u did yours.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh, Ive used the machete many times. I just keep it in the same place all the time.

It just sits on the old cargo cover. See the first post.

Latest posts

Members online