Engine Noise...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polestar

Reaction score
Morning everyone.

Wondering if you Jeep Guru's can help me pinpoint what this noise is. You can hear it best near the end.

Yes I know the video is not in portrait but it's the sound.

Jeep - YouTube

Sticky lifters?

It's more noticeable when it's cold out.

I also have a squeak coming from the front end somewhere, just replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner on Monday and it didn't help.

Jeep liberty 2008 3.7 noise - YouTube Here's a video of the noise, this is from last year but the same noise happens now and only when it's cold outside. Like I said I just replaced the belt and tensioner Monday and it didn't fix the noise.

Thanks for any input or thoughts on this. And if you know the noise what type of repair would this be?

Last edited:

Polestar

Reaction score
Sent the video to my local jeep dealer and they think it's the lifters.

Lifters $395.00 gskts $184.25-labour $688.00

Thankfully I still have warranty on the jeep.

Will know for sure Monday when they inspect it to pinpoint the noise.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From here, the engine is noisier down below than it is up top. It doesn't sound like a clatter (valves) but more muffled like a knock. My ears are hearing piston slap, which is from having slightly excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance. As the engine heats up, and the pistons expands, the tolerances tighten up and the piston stops rocking/hitting the cylinder wall. If it were mine, I wouldn't have the dealer do anything unless it's under warranty. Otherwise, you're likely to end up having a very unhappy wallet. Did you buy an extended warranty for it btw?

Polestar

Reaction score
I bought the jeep 2 years ago from a Honda dealer used car lot.

I picked up the point of sale 3rd party warranty.
http://www.firstcanadian.ca/documents/fcpp_auto_brochure.pdf

Cover's pretty much everything. I had it on a car I bought before and it paid for itself pretty quickly. It was like $1500 for 4 years.

And yes, I won't be doing anything unless it's covered under the warranty.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say the noise only happens when it's cold outside, I presume you mean when the engine is cold as well, and it stops when the engine heats up? You can have a warm engine and still be cold outside. How long after the first start till the noise stops?

Polestar

Reaction score
It's much less noticable when the jeep fully warms up. But you can still hear it lets say you're at a drivethru and there's a wall beside you. That's the first noise.

As for the other second noise from the second video that purely happens when it's cold out. It happened all last winter, went away in the summer and started again this winter. Replaced the belt and tensioner this week.

It's not late on oil changes, had a tune up less than a year ago with new plugs.

It could be related to the evap errors I had over the summer and some instances where when starting the jeep it would start extremely rough or would not start at all.

The jeep has had the fuel tank burp update last year as well as it was spewing fuel out when being refilled.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine?
Your warranty brochure says: "Please see Policy/Contract for details". That's where the "fine print" is. Make sure the engine is covered like the brochure has you assume, and not only if there is a parts "defect". What you have going on in the first video is wear and tear, not a defect. In the second video, it sounds like a hungry chipmunk. That could be something as simple as an idler pulley, to more serious like the A/C clutch. Mine makes moaning and groaning noises in the cold cold morning too, and it isn't the only car I've had that does that. It's the noises that don't go away that you have to worry more about.

Polestar

Reaction score
Jeep 2 - YouTube

Did another quick video this morning. This is right after starting the jeep.

Once the jeep runs for awhile it's not nearly as noticeable. But you can still hear it a bit.

Polestar

Reaction score
I'm still hearing piston slap.

Looks like you're right Cactus!

Took it to the dealer Monday to have them look at it.

They say it's piston slap as well. Now I have to gather all my service records to show oil changes so my 3rd party warranty will cover what they will have to do.

Curious what they will have to do to fix this? I did some searching for it but couldn't really see what they would have to do?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuild or replace the engine. A rebuild would require an overbore of the cylinders, since excessive piston to cylinder wall clearances is what causes the slap. Then new oversize pistons, rings, bearings and so on. A short block replacement would be a cheaper and quicker job for them in the long run. Or finding a low mileage used engine would be another option. It all depends on how you're covered with the warranty, or not. Here's hoping you are.

Polestar

Reaction score
Wow, well lets hope I can find everything I need.

I know I've done oil changes I'm **** at making sure it's done before the required interval. Date or mileage.

Now to go and find them all.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the help.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A warranty is basically nothing more than an insurance policy. Some companies are good about paying a claim, others like to take in money but are stingy about paying back out. Did you look yet to see what's in the "fine print" of the contract?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuild or replace the engine. A rebuild would require an overbore of the cylinders, since excessive piston to cylinder wall clearances is what causes the slap. Then new oversize pistons, rings, bearings and so on. A short block replacement would be a cheaper and quicker job for them in the long run. Or finding a low mileage used engine would be another option. It all depends on how you're covered with the warranty, or not. Here's hoping you are.

Is that possible with this engine? I assume it changes the displacement?

That's actually what a buddy of mine did with his Cherokee. Apparently it changed his engine displacement from 4.0L to 4.2L. Does that affect power?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that possible with this engine? I assume it changes the displacement?
That's actually what a buddy of mine did with his Cherokee. Apparently it changed his engine displacement from 4.0L to 4.2L. Does that affect power?
What your buddy did was put the rotating assembly (crank, pistons, rods) from the 4.2 into his 4.0 block to make it a "stroker" engine. Both engines have the same bore size, but the 4.2 has a longer stroke crankshaft. Those parts are interchangeable. Overboring the cylinders, and going with the needed oversized pistons is done just to true up the cylinders that may be out of round or excessively worn. It would only add a couple of c.i. to the engine, depending on the oversize used, and wouldn't be a power adder. This type of thing is done all the time when rebuilding an engine.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your buddy did was put the rotating assembly (crank, pistons, rods) from the 4.2 into his 4.0 block to make it a "stroker" engine. Both engines have the same bore size, but the 4.2 has a longer stroke crankshaft. Those parts are interchangeable. Overboring the cylinders, and going with the needed oversized pistons is done just to true up the cylinders that may be out of round or excessively worn. It would only add a couple of c.i. to the engine, depending on the oversize used, and wouldn't be a power adder. This type of thing is done all the time when rebuilding an engine.

Interesting to know! I'm telling you I walked into this forum with not an ounce of automotive knowledge...but I've learned something every day since I've been here.