Squeaky Coilover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

So I just installed Al's arms thinking this was causing my squeak (UBJs were shot anyway. Needed to be done.) but this did not solve my problem. As I push the jeep from side to side (as well as on a slow roll) I hear squeaking coming from my passenger side coilover. It sounds as if it's coming from the top of the assembly. What could be the issue here? I had a shop put together the assembly.

First thing I was thinking is pull off the assembly and try to tighten the top bolt. I have not had a chance to do that yet. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can try before/during that process?

Thanks!

PS - the shock is an OME and it is not blown.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is was the whole thing (not just the assembly) tightened under load (on the ground) and not on a lift. Including the a arm.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is was the whole thing (not just the assembly) tightened under load (on the ground) and not on a lift. Including the a arm.

It was not. I thought it was only the sway bar end links and components that needed to be tightened under load.

What bolts in the a-arms need to be tightened under load? I would imagine the bolts in the engine bay shouldn't matter. But maybe the ball joint bolt?

How about the shock tower bolts? Should I back them off while lifted, drop, then tighten?

I guess I missed all of that stuff. :emotions34:

The only thing is I did the same thing for the driver's side and everything is quite and tight over there.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts in the engine bay do matter since they are through the bushing. The bushing makes the squeak. For all bolts I am not an expert but I torqued all mine under load.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any rubber bushing that flexes with suspension travel should be tightened at loaded ride height. That would include (off the top of my head) upper and lower ctrl arm, clevis lower end, and rubber bushing end of sway bar.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't sound like it's coming from any of the bushings but I will re-tighten. Do I need to back them off first?

It sounds possibly like it might be coming from the top of the shock. Could it be a possibility that the bolt through the top of the mount might be causing the issue? (AKA the top of the shock)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It really doesn't sound like it's coming from any of the bushings but I will re-tighten. Do I need to back them off first?

It sounds possibly like it might be coming from the top of the shock. Could it be a possibility that the bolt through the top of the mount might be causing the issue? (AKA the top of the shock)

Could very well be the top nut on the shock, have seen and heard of a few of them not being tightened when installed. Even have seen a couple of Frankenlifts that were not tightened properly

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing with the bushings needing to be tightened with the load on them is due to the fact that if you tighten them without it, they will be torqued in a position with no load so when you lower the vehicle, they will constantly be in a twisted state reducing the life of them drastically

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 cause of said noise........................

If that boot is installed(covering the shock shaft) that well be the noise,remove and check for noise.

Also make sure UCA mount bolts were torqued under full vehicle weight at ride height.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 cause of said noise........................

If that boot is installed(covering the shock shaft) that well be the noise,remove and check for noise.

Also make sure UCA mount bolts were torqued under full vehicle weight at ride height.

That is in fact installed. Not sure how I can get it off now. :emotions34: Not paying another $100 for a shop to take em apart and put them back together. I'd rather just turn up the radio.

Do I need to raise the jeep to re tighten the bolts? Should I back off all of the nuts a bit, then re tighten?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is in fact installed. Not sure how I can get it off now. :emotions34: Not paying another $100 for a shop to take em apart and put them back together. I'd rather just turn up the radio.

Do I need to raise the jeep to re tighten the bolts? Should I back off all of the nuts a bit, then re tighten?

Yes, lift the Jeep on jack stands and loosen the bolts for the UCA's, the sway bar links and the sway bar bushing clamps on the front frame. Lower the Jeep so the full weight is on the wheels then re-tighten all the bolts & nuts you loosened before. Now you'll have everything torqued properly.

Those squeaks can drive you nuts. My sway bar mounts are squeaking right now and I need to take them off and wash the bushings. But I'd rather be working on a sexy mod than suspension maintenance. But I gotta dance with the one I brung.

I chose to lift it - nobody held a gun to my head :gr_grin:

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lift the Jeep on jack stands and loosen the bolts for the UCA's, the sway bar links and the sway bar bushing clamps on the front frame. Lower the Jeep so the full weight is on the wheels then re-tighten all the bolts & nuts you loosened before. Now you'll have everything torqued properly.

Those squeaks can drive you nuts. My sway bar mounts are squeaking right now and I need to take them off and wash the bushings. But I'd rather be working on a sexy mod than suspension maintenance. But I gotta dance with the one I brung.

I chose to lift it - nobody held a gun to my head :gr_grin:

Bob

Thank you! Got the end links and bushings torqued down correctly when i changed them all last week so that shouldn't be a problem. It's just the UCA bolts that I have to get.

Thank you everyone for the input!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen the bolts, bounce down on the front end a couple of times to let it settle in, then tighten back down.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jacked it up from the crossmember, loosened the bolts, dropped her down, and tightened back up.

Upon inspection for the squeaking...I see the plastic boot on that right shock is kinda "malformed (kinda oval shaped)". I think it's rubbing something which is causing the squeaking.

Next chance I get, I'm going to rent coil compressors, set them, then quickly unbolt the top of the spring seat and pull that stupid plastic boot thing off.