Skid plate customization due to ARB bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm posting to see if anyone has this combo of skid plates: Skid Row engine skid and 4x Guard front skid (from JBA.) I'm still on crutches so I brought my KJ to my local guy to install the front guard for me. First things first the Skid Row engine skid does not have mounting holes for the 4x guard. No biggie there, just make some holes. Second, it would not mount up correctly due to the ARB bumper recovery points hanging down. The tech showed me the problem when it was up on his lift. We decided to cut each end of the 4x guard to allow the recover points to hang down through it. I'll post pictures later when done.

Does anyone else have the ARB, skid row, 4x guard combo and if so did you need to modify it too? Not too happy I have to cut the 4x guard down but seemed to be the only fix.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had that combo on the 04 for a while and didn't have any issues, just stuck it up above. I did not use the mount that came with the JBA front skid since I wanted it up higher . Were you trying to use it ?
Also just drilled two holes no a huge deal to mount it to the SkidRow

Not sure why you are not happy ?
I mean you are using a product that was made to be used with a stock front bumper, so of course you have to modify it.
Part of building a Jeep, cutting, drilling, etc

Last edited:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that combo on the 04 for a while and didn't have any issues, just stuck it up above. I did not use the mount that came with the JBA front skid since I wanted it up higher . Were you trying to use it ?
Also just drilled two holes no a huge deal to mount it to the SkidRow

Not sure why you are not happy ?
I mean you are using a product that was made to be used with a stock front bumper, so of course you have to modify it.
Part of building a Jeep, cutting, drilling, etc

Yeah, I'm using the mount that came with it. Did not think about ditching it, but may be the plan if I think it hangs too low. It was all shiny and pretty and cutting it is the the part I'm a little bummed about. Just called the shop to suggest ditching the mount but they already trimmed the skid so I'll go with it now. Pictures to follow after I get off work.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know this since i haven't put any skid plates on yet.

Thx for the lookout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using the mount that came with it. Did not think about ditching it, but may be the plan if I think it hangs too low. It was all shiny and pretty and cutting it is the the part I'm a little bummed about. Just called the shop to suggest ditching the mount but they already trimmed the skid so I'll go with it now. Pictures to follow after I get off work.

I cut mine also so it would go up past the shackle tabs. I also cut the 4xguard mount so it would slide up higher and drilled and bolted it back together. If you hadn't cut it yet I would have traded you since I no longer have the ARB.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and picture. Once I see what mine looks like I'll consider cutting the mounting bracket too if it seems too low. I had to work late yesterday and did not get it back from the shop yet. Pics to follow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I got the Matrix Brush Guard I cut mine so it would fit around the brackets for it . Still strong and didn't hurt it any at all really. But wanted it up tighter to the body, and also more upright.
Of course 5 painted areas to spell out some state or ??
You must be registered for see images attach

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is definitely lower than that. I may have to modify once I'm back to walking again. Lesson learned - next time ask the knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum before even starting! Thank you!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can bring it up a good bit yet
Like I said it made for the stock bumper and so site low
Modifying to fit up higher is pretty easy.
I still have that mounting bracket, never used it

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little off topic but is there a mopar front guard like that ? i know the mopar engin skid has 2 threaded mounting holes at the front end but ive never seen a front skid except these ones