Purge Solenoid replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I passed two emissions tests 2008 dec and 2009 dec. I have not replaced it or got it fixed. CEL comes and goes. Just take it to inspection when the light is off. Even if they run it, it won't be anything major (unless you are in one of those pain in the **** shops). I have not seen a major mpg drop, it has always been on average 15, strictly city driving. I hate it when the light comes on (just did again yesterday after about 2-3 months).

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah checked all lines. Unplugged solenoid and plugged back in. Traced lines to tank and unplugged That little do hickey on the front side of tank. (in the center of tank) There was lots of dry mud/dirt in plug housing. Cleaned and plugged back in. All lines seemed to be good. Checked codes. No active or pending codes as of now. What is the drive cycle for the KJ?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could unplug, remove etc.. why not just replace it? It is $30. I was worried about not being able to put it back together, but it seems like you took it apart and put it back in.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could unplug, remove etc.. why not just replace it? It is $30. I was worried about not being able to put it back together, but it seems like you took it apart and put it back in.

Like you, if it comes back then YES it will be replaced. Just need to get it to pass smog. If it doesn't pass..Well i guess it will be replaced sooner that that.

KJM

Reaction score
I've got holes in both hoses coming from the purge solenoid. Does anyone know if I can disconnect the hose at the firewall or does it have to be run all the back by the tank?

There appears to be some type of junction at the firewall but not sure if the hose seperates on top of that junction or below it. Anyone been down this road before??

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that emissions equipment? Should be warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles. BTW that's not a Jeep thing. I know Honda and VW owners that have had the same problem.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that a lot of people recognize that little device but didn't know it's name. Just yesterday while I was replacing the battery I had to move that thing. If I knew it would cost $300 to replace (at "stealership" garage rates ;)) I would have handled it with more care.

I'm going to have to read the FSM to see if I can understand it's purpose.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hyed.....if you replace that thing, put the new one next to the old one. Then take one line off the old one at a time and put it on the new one in the same connector spot. That way you can't get it hooked up wrong.

Just a thought.

Dave

Or use the pictures you took. You know... just a suggestion.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on 04.

It must not be "major" enough. EPA publication in 2002 - Warranty coverage varies depending on components and individual manufacturer warranty provisions. In most cases, however, responding sooner rather than later is likely to minimize the individual owner’s repair liability. The CAA requires an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty on the major emissions control components such as the catalytic converter, and a 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty on other emissions control components.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/f02014.pdf

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solenoid did not bother me until few weeks ago, I thought the CEL would go away but it did not, this time I have P0440, which means a Major Leak and one of the solutions is to check/replace the solenoid

Oooops, I got the part number above and it was incorrect, of course. It is for 2002-2003, they changed the solenoid from 2004.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...7&make=17&model=Liberty&year=2004&catalogid=1

I am going to try to return the one I have to the dealer and replace it with 2004 paying the difference. 2004 solenoid is upside down of 2003, with a different electrical connector. The hoses are impossible to disconnect, I wonder if anyone has done it and has any pointers, as I don't want to rip the rubber connectors.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooops, I got the part number above and it was incorrect, of course. It is for 2002-2003, they changed the solenoid from 2004.

Ugh, I just did the same thing!!! Got it all removed to just find out the connections were different.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer didn't take it, does anyone want 2003 solenoid?
I edited his post, if I can find the 2004 box with part # I will add.

georgel5

Reaction score
any update? did this solve your problem? I currently have that dreaded P0440 I have replaced the NVLD and the code is still there. sometimes the jeep makes a weird winning noise intermittently, could this be due to a bad solenoid?

Edit: I need to pass smog within the next 7 days I already have a DMV temp permit. Please help!

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any update? did this solve your problem? I currently have that dreaded P0440 I have replaced the NVLD and the code is still there. sometimes the jeep makes a weird winning noise intermittently, could this be due to a bad solenoid?

Edit: I need to pass smog within the next 7 days I already have a DMV temp permit. Please help!

Didn't fix my light... but my light was a p0441. I get the feeling I have a bad vacuum hose near the tank that I'm going to have to crawl under and find.

georgel5

Reaction score
I just inspected all the hoses on my jeep and they all look and feel fine. I went this morning to the dealer to buy a new gas cap and see if this P0440 goes away.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TAKEN FROM THE FSM

REMOVAL
The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (DCP)
is located in the engine compartment (Fig. 2). It is
attached to a bracket located between the battery
and the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The EVAP
system test port is located near the solenoid (Fig. 2).
(1) Disconnect electrical wiring connector at solenoid.
(2) Disconnect vacuum harness at solenoid.
(3) Remove solenoid and its support bracket (pull
straight up).

INSTALLATION
(1) Slip EVAP canister purge solenoid onto its
mounting bracket.
(2) Connect vacuum harness to solenoid.
(3) Connect electrical connector to solenoid.

You must be registered for see images attach

Part Number for 2002 and 2003: 52128550AA *2004 and later is different

CLICK HERE FOR PART

Looks like a 5 minute job. You're getting ***** by your dealer!!

Very old thread, but just wanted to check and see if anyone has a better picture of where the evap test port is supposed to be. My 04 doesn't seem to have one, and it looks like I'm going to need it. (p0440 and p0441)

Gopher

Reaction score
Purge Solenoid question

I keep getting the P0441 code about every three weeks or so. I replaced the gas cap with an oem replacement. Reset still came back off after a while. Checked vacuum lines from front of car to the gas tank and didn't see anything obvious. When I pull the vacuum line from the top of the purge valve (one going to throttle body) I get plenty of suction and when I place my thumb over it, idle drops back down to normal. I pulled the purge solenoid and put power to the two electrical connector tabs and I can hear it click, assuming it is working. I haven't been able to get an electrical reading at the socket that plugs into the purge solenoid. Does anyone know if I should be getting a voltage reading at the plug or does the car have to be warmed or the computer tell it to throw voltage at it.