Catalytic Converter Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking for a little while now that my cats have been clogging up, just because of the sound of the back pressure from the engine when I'm on the gas. But today when it was warming up, sounded kinda loud and when I walked away I noticed a small bit of exhaust coming from the passenger wheel well that went away as it warmed up.
So judging by how haggard my exhaust is starting to sound, gunna get some new cats to put on so my engine can breathe out too and not just in.
Anybody had any good experiences with any brands out there for their cats?
Trying to go the cheapest yet reliable route..
Thought about just hacking some off a dead libby for cheap but I'd hate to spend 50 or so bucks to get a couple more clogged ones lol
As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Generally the Mopar ones are best and flow the best. But, TwoBobsKJ on here has Walker ones and he says they work just as well.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the general consensus on here would be go mopar, but was looking at the walker ones and was hoping for an experiences with them.
Running a walker back half of the exhaust now so thought about gambling on the front half too..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You basically got 4 tiers of cats(best/most expensive to least)................

OEM - best flow and up to 95% efficient

High end aftermarket(50 state legal versions) which are OEM cats but bought through the original manufacturer - same as OEM but a little cheaper

Aftermarket direct fit cats - mid range pricing but only 60%-66% efficient

Generic/universal weld in cats - cheap and only about 33% efficient

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be looking at a cost savings that was worth it if I go the high end aftermarket route, if the cats are the same as oem? Would this be walker products, or are they in the 60-66% range you mentioned?
or who else should I buy from?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be looking at a cost savings that was worth it if I go the high end aftermarket route, if the cats are the same as oem? Would this be walker products, or are they in the 60-66% range you mentioned?
or who else should I buy from?

If the cats state "50 state legal" then they are the direct manufacturer OEM cats.

If they state "48/49 state legal" they are the mid range cats(60%-66% efficiency).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dumb question...does efficiency refer to their ability to clean the exhaust or the flow rate?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Pace Setter cats? Thinking about taking the gamble but not sure if it'll be a bad decision.
They're 49 states legal, as are the ones from Walker, but they're like half the price.
5 year/50k warranty on the stainless steel and tubing/2yr 25k warranty on the catalyst..
A little worried about buying one that restricts airflow.. but can't be worse than clogged ones right??