Brake line extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommended (rear) brake lines extension kit EXCEPT for the 200$ JBA steel one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommended (rear) brake lines extension kit EXCEPT for the 200$ JBA steel one?

yep make a bracket for a couple bucks that drops down the brake line ... search google or here for break line relocation bracket

Ag Standard

Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you do not need it on a 2003. 2002 to 2005 the brake line goes from the caliper to the axle. Some 05s and all 06 and 07s, the brake line comes from the caliper to the wheel well, which causes this to break once flexed up lifted.

You still need to extend/drop the rear brake line on '02-'04's also when lifting.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops sorry, should have read your sig. Even at around 4 inch lift ive never had trouble with the break lines even when fully flexed , although i plan on the extended ss ones just because theyre nice

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Go out to your local hardward store and use any sort of reinforcement bracket that you would find on desks/furniture along with a couple of small bolts/screws

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mwzyg61bzghxbs/2017-02-11 14.57.52.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbjqlthu7k14ny9/2017-02-11 14.58.02.jpg?dl=0

Fix for under a dollar. Is about a 3-4" extension. Just carefully pull the brake line down far enough to bolt it in. I used to stretch that line at full flex. Now it's good to go.

Last edited:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go out to your local hardward store and use any sort of reinforcement bracket that you would find on desks/furniture along with a couple of small bolts/screws

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mwzyg61bzghxbs/2017-02-11 14.57.52.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbjqlthu7k14ny9/2017-02-11 14.58.02.jpg?dl=0

Fix for under a dollar. Is about a 3-4" extension. Just carefully pull the brake line down far enough to bolt it in. I used to stretch that line at full flex. Now it's good to go.

load levers ?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't done anything to mine, but I don't have ABS so maybe that's the difference?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
load levers ?

Yup. Says so in my sig. They're not as long as I would like...but I am absolutely in love with the ride pairing them with the soft 4" coils from JBA.

I haven't done anything to mine, but I don't have ABS so maybe that's the difference?

No ABS here. Only became an issue when I took the sway bar out and went up to 4". Noticed I would flex out the left side and the hose would be stretched. Very lucky I never lost the hose...or even caused a leak for that matter.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you do not need it on a 2003. 2002 to 2005 the brake line goes from the caliper to the axle. Some 05s and all 06 and 07s, the brake line comes from the caliper to the wheel well, which causes this to break once flexed up lifted.

And btw TJKJ is right. The hose still needs to be extended. It runs from a block up in the wheel well to a junction block on the axle. Flexing out only the left (drivers in the US) side causes an issue.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special treatment for the ABS then?
Still unsure on the exact procedure - I need to mount the bracket and relocate the lines only on the left side?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And btw TJKJ is right. The hose still needs to be extended. It runs from a block up in the wheel well to a junction block on the axle. Flexing out only the left (drivers in the US) side causes an issue.

And lifting the KJ on a lift with the correct extended rear shocks will stretch that brake line when the whole axle drops.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup. Says so in my sig. They're not as long as I would like...but I am absolutely in love with the ride pairing them with the soft 4" coils from JBA.

No ABS here. Only became an issue when I took the sway bar out and went up to 4". Noticed I would flex out the left side and the hose would be stretched. Very lucky I never lost the hose...or even caused a leak for that matter.
That would explain why I haven't had an issue, 2-2.5" lift, still running the rear sway bar.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And lifting the KJ on a lift with the correct extended rear shocks will stretch that brake line when the whole axle drops.

Yup had my Jeep up on jack stands with the axle in the air. Same effect.

Not going to lie...flex was better with the Bilsteins. But those blew so easily I would never go back. The Monroes are about an inch/inch and a half shorter. Would be absolutely perfect length for a 2.5-3" lift.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lplkxtmvhg6or5i/2016-08-23 19.46.27.jpg?dl=0

If you know of any other shocks that I might try that are longer than these...would love to pick them up. My UCA let's my rear axle flex like crazy and these shocks are now the limiting factor.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special treatment for the ABS then?
Still unsure on the exact procedure - I need to mount the bracket and relocate the lines only on the left side?

I'm not sure with ABS. On non-ABS...there's only one hose that runs from the body (still part) to the axle (moving part). That hose is screwed into a block that is screwed into the body of the Jeep near the driver's side wheel well. If you use some sort of bracket to drop the point where that is mounted DOWN a bit (first pic in my original post)...you should be good. I used some very small nuts and bolts. Doesn't have to be extremely tight. Just enough to hold the line and not back out when the Jeep hits bumps.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For KJ's with abs you have to relocate two lines, both of which are on the driver side(left).