2004 Liberty.... Linkage problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRTPUN

Reaction score
New guy here with my first issue lol...

So I pick up my new (to me) 04 Liberty, and drive it to work. Get to my parking lot and decide to try and shift it into 4Lo..BANG! I put it back in 2Hi and try it once again, 4Lo...BANG! Now the jeep is stuck in Part Time 4Hi and the shifter is just wobbling all over the place. I'm assuming the Linkage broke (grommet, bushing, or cable). What's the easiest way to diagnose the issue? Climb under the car and look? Can I see it if I remove the leather boot? Just wanna see what's the quickest way to diagnose this so I can order whatever part(s) I need in order to fix this. Not exactly how I wanted my first day with my jeep to go.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Transfer case shifter bushing is known to break made of nylon.
Climb under and see if bushing is cracked/missing and it's at all loose.
You should still be able to move it back into 2WD by forcing lever at transfer case.
Link to see pics and repair information:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jeep+kj+country+trasfer+case+shifter+bushing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PYmfWN_GOtLejwOs2ZTIAQ#q=jeep+kj+country+transfer+case+shifter+bushing+site:www.jeepkj.com
I always like to shift into 4wd moving slowly forward, in neutral, then back into drive.
If your shifter looks like this:
58489[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

It is a Command Trac- locking 4WD system made only to be driven on slippery surfaces.
See your owners manual for proper operation instructions.
In 4Hi or 4 LO it will seriously bind on non slippery surfaces, especially potentially damaging transfer case, so get it back into 2WD.

Attachments

• Shifter%204WD.jpg
    Shifter%204WD.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

SRTPUN

Reaction score
That's the exact shifter I have. Guess I gotta get under there tonight after work and push into 2wd unless I can reach it from up top somehow.