Peeling steelies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my stock sport wheels are starting that transition from original silver painted color to the black undercoat. This is fine by me as I was thinking about spraying them black or dark grey anyway, that being said, is there any way to expedite this process besides sandblasting?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Or you can always go with the "Dalmation Edition" wheels like TBJ is sporting... lol3.gif

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since you have an 07, that would fall under the corrosion warranty.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically there are two ways to remove the paint - both will remove both the silver and the black primer coat.

First is by means of an abrassive (sandblasting, sanding, etc...) This is the more "elbow grease" approach.

Second is by using a chemical stripper. On small projects I've even used brake fluid as a stripper (there's a reason it says not to spill it on painted surfaces)

Both have their pro's and cons, and of course the easier method usually costs more....

Then you have to spring for some good paint, or even some powdercoating.

Said and done, fixing up the stock steel rims may cost you as much as a new set of steel wheels - Soft Ds or whatever. Especially if you're a little OCD (like me) about the finished product.

If you're more utilitarian, clean thenm up good, scuff them up some with some sand paper or steel wool, and hit them with some Line-X or Herculiner and rock on!

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the "blackening" of the wheels is pretty slight so far but I am noticing it on 3 of the 5. I may end up just getting a set of new wheels and putting some dedicated winter/snow tires on the stock rims and have 2 sets. Thanks for all the input.

Members online