New Here, New to Jeeps, New to the 04 KJ I bought last weekend.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Looks like on the vin website it is listed as heavy duty engine cooling and trailer tow group.
Yes you have the factory trailer tow package and thats a great feature because you get extra cooling goodies one of which is the engine cooling system (mechanical cooling fan and electric cooling fan). Thats is an awesome little KJ especially for that price. Make sure you get the recall done on the lower control arms regardless of their condition (its free). I crawled under the 2006 liberty I bought a few years ago because I knew ahead of time about the recall and the lower control arms were corroded through. Pretty dam scary.

MarkG

Reaction score
Wow! You did get a deal! My 03 Renegade with heavy duty cooling and towing package. Purchased in 2018 w 145K miles as a tow behind our Class A RV. Lifetime one owner Texas car. Carfax and Crysler recall site listed three recalls. Two were the two yours listed and were already completed prior to my purchase. The third was for air bags. I didn't get around to getting that one done before they blew in 2019. Luckily, I was on a side street at low speed when they blew. Ack!

The recall wasn't for the Takata bag defects that hit various makes of all OEMs but for a module. I had to go junkyard and EBAY diving to find bags and dash components and install those before dealer would perform the recall work.

So, my advice is run your VIN through Chryslers recall site and make sure you get ALL of them done before considering mods.

Again, nice buy. We love ours.

MarkG

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is mine.

SilverbearX

Reaction score
Wow! You did get a deal! My 03 Renegade with heavy duty cooling and towing package. Purchased in 2018 w 145K miles as a tow behind our Class A RV. Lifetime one owner Texas car. Carfax and Crysler recall site listed three recalls. Two were the two yours listed and were already completed prior to my purchase. The third was for air bags. I didn't get around to getting that one done before they blew in 2019. Luckily, I was on a side street at low speed when they blew. Ack!

The recall wasn't for the Takata bag defects that hit various makes of all OEMs but for a module. I had to go junkyard and EBAY diving to find bags and dash components and install those before dealer would perform the recall work.

So, my advice is run your VIN through Chryslers recall site and make sure you get ALL of them done before considering mods.

Again, nice buy. We love ours.
Woah, that is crazy! Lol. Bet that was a surprise. According to the Chrysler website I only have 3 recalls. 1 was done in 06, the other I already have the hitch for and the third is the LCA.

SilverbearX

Reaction score
I have read about the front recovery points having a weak system due to "m" Bolts, but that some had a plate instead.. Can anyone tell me if mine has the "m" Bolts from this pic? I am thinking of doing the dual hitch recovery point mod.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Yes those are the stock brackets. I never heard of an issue though. I pulled a fully loaded electrician’s extended van out of the ditch in a snow storm… plenty strong. :)

Reaction score
Local dealer made it very difficult to get the control arm recall done as my Jeep was high-mileage and the original control arms were not in bad shape. But I am never going to turn down a free upgrade.
First it was "they are out of stock, we don't know when we can do this recall", then when I came in for appointment after receiving a call from them that they had finally gotten the parts in, they "had to inspect the vehicle to see if it really needs them replaced." I said I don't care what the current ones look like since this is a definite recall regardless of condition. Then they "could not find the parts in their warehouse" and told me to come back a week later. I had to go all the way to the manager and make a scene to get it done. Not what I would normally do. Took and wasted two days off of work. Hope it goes better for you!!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am reading this right, they told you to come in because they had the parts. Then when you showed up they didn't have the parts. Then when you complained they mysteriously where able to find the parts?

If that is true I would send a letter to Jeep HQ and never go back to that dealer again.

My local dealer gave me no trouble at all when I had my hitch recall done. I heard lots of stories back around that time where dealers were making any excuse under the sun to avoid doing it. I can't blame them for not liking it, but that is not your fault and they shouldn't be taking it out on you.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I still have the outstanding lower control arms listed in recalls.
I decided years ago to keep the OEM lower control arms, and have a shop press in new Spicer bushings.
The new bushings got filled in the cut away slots, with windshield urethane, and allowed to cure properly.
This thread post # 4 describes my solid upgrade. No issues what so ever again.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/rear-sway-when-i-stop-excelerating.70019/#post-755697

Reaction score
If I am reading this right, they told you to come in because they had the parts. Then when you showed up they didn't have the parts. Then when you complained they mysteriously where able to find the parts?

If that is true I would send a letter to Jeep HQ and never go back to that dealer again.

My local dealer gave me no trouble at all when I had my hitch recall done. I heard lots of stories back around that time where dealers were making any excuse under the sun to avoid doing it. I can't blame them for not liking it, but that is not your fault and they shouldn't be taking it out on you.
That is exactly what happened.
And no, I have not been back to that dealer. I should have written a letter but I was so mad that I probably would have regretted that letter later.
Hitch repair went better, I had an aftermarket hitch already and a dealer replaced it with an equivalent approved hitch. I even took my old hitch home because a friend wanted it for a project.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I still have the outstanding lower control arms listed in recalls.
I decided years ago to keep the OEM lower control arms, and have a shop press in new Spicer bushings.
The new bushings got filled in the cut away slots, with windshield urethane, and allowed to cure properly.
This thread post # 4 describes my solid upgrade. No issues what so ever again.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/rear-sway-when-i-stop-excelerating.70019/#post-755697
Windshield urethane - good idea

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange, the UK hasn't been offered any replacement rear arms as far as I know, must be a US only thing.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Funny, I was just thinking about the reaction we'd get from a dealer (assuming we could find one) presented with a 20 year old vehicle for recall. I'd imagine it's be difficult 20 weeks after the recall notice: "Nah, sorry mate, too late - don't do that one now"

Reaction score
Mine had 224,000 miles on it when I took it in. The control arm bushings were no doubt in need of replacement but the arms themselves had very little rust. So they tried to refuse service.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking about the reaction we'd get from a dealer (assuming we could find one) presented with a 20 year old vehicle for recall. I'd imagine it's be difficult 20 weeks after the recall notice: "Nah, sorry mate, too late - don't do that one now"
Toyota recalled my ancient rav4 several years ago to replace air bags, I don't think they have an option if its a safety issue. I did laugh when I took it to them, it was a heap I used for taking the dogs shooting on the marshes, the new air bags must have doubled its value.
The gearbox was rattling and a big end was knocking so I was going to scrap it, my wife suggested sticking it on Facebook, a guy came all the way from London on the train to buy it and drove it back! I have never been able to work that one out!!

Members online

No members online now.