Johnny O's 2020 Rubicon Build - KHAAAAAN! the ScienceMobile II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So I have confirmed that most if not all denizens of Wrangler Forums are complete knuckleheads (I have a stronger term I use that gets censored here involving a small boat with pointy ends and the French word for "wash"...), Plus, I am invested in the most excellent community here. Technically I am still working on Bert as he is now with my son-in-law and daughter and they are already beating on him...and I have to teach them the "magic" of an Aussie Desert Rat build Liberty...

Anyway, I picked up a 2020 Rubicon with all of the whistles and bells for a steal. Sure it is three years old and has 100k miles on it, but I tracked down the original owners via the local Jeep club and learned it was all highway miles. It has the 2.0L Turbo engine which is perfect for my use. It came with absolutely awful "Best of Amazon" aftermarket nerf bars made by DV8 but is otherwise a stock Rubicon with the cold weather package and the top end packages. Also has brand-new set of OE tires. Basically a stock Rubicon JLU hardtop with the wonderful "T-top" panels up front. Bright white paint, black with red trim interior, black and red badges and decals...in other words, the most perfect version of my dream car. Added bonus, it has the amazingly good Alpine premium sound system with the full size infotainment system.
Still have lots of love for Bert, but I have wanted a Wrangler since 1987...

First up I had to replace the factory cabin air filter. Man people are dumb...
Next was plugs, serpentine belt, oil/diff changes, radiator flush and the removal of about 100lbs of corn-grid limestone gravel and dust from the skid plates. Go figure, the previous pavement princess owners never did anything beyond oil changes and engine air filters...is an error with the ParkSense I am troubleshooting, but this is a non-critical function so I'll get it figured out when I get it figured out.

Then of course, I had to get my "trademark", Ode-to-Bert the ScienceMobile, red and black grille painted. Also got my vintage Jack-in-the-Box antenna topper in place

From there it was time to start mods to get the "RubiKHAAAAAAAAN!" (Star Trek geeks get it...) ready for my desert rat excursions. Thankfully I do not have to do much.

Wheeling and dealing, I was able to get a pair of cross bars for a mere 50$ from a Gladiator Bro so I can haul my kayak and properly secure my most excellent SlumberJack Roadhouse tarp.
Then with more google-fu and Craig's List and Marketplace deals, I sold the awful pinch nerf bars for 200$.
Being up 150$, a bit more wheeling and dealing I was able to get an open box, cosmetic only scuff damage set of Paramount Industries frame-mount Canyon rock sliders with built in low profile steps for a mere 100$ with free next day shipping from ExtremeTerrain after clearance pricing and Veteran's Discounts. So, got all the stuff I needed immediately for no cost. Sweeeeet.

Only thing left to do is get a stubby bumper on the front end and mount my GMRS and CB radios and antennas.

Pictures to follow.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
These arrived today. High clearance steps, frame mount, 5mm sliders. Scuffs are barely visible. Vast improvement over the gigantic tubular pinch weld mount nerfbars that came with the Jeep. Just gotta wrestle out the frame bolts. Accidentally broke the first one I tried...robot must have gotten crazy with the red loctite... So starting the morning tomorrow with a vertical drill and tap project as easy outs aren't.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So I guess now you teach us the Ways of the Wrangler.

I hope having a posh cabin air filter doesn’t make you soft!
Haven't found the full factory manual yet so having to do research the hard way, but the cabin filter is a blessing...no more limestone dust "smoke" in the passenger front foot well.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I also got all the plastic trim and fender flares back to black with Meguiar's. Before, during, and after.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Took Khaaaaaan! out for some fun and games over the weekend. No real off-roading here, but we did a little river crawling to get to a fossil site. Lots of corn-grid limestone miles.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ooops. Made a clean spot....

As I continue to convert RubiKhaaan! to full desert-rat/ScienceMobile mode, I revel in the sheer amount of mods I can buy off-the-shelf.

As my biggest concerns are gravel strikes and brush, bottom end protection that is easily replace/repairable is necessity.
On Bert I had to get creative with bed liner. On Kahn, well...

These are Bushwacker ABS guard panels. Regularly 180-260$. Discounted on Scamazon to 80$. Flash deal/open box on Bug Deals Day for only $20!!!!!!.

For that price I bought two sets. One to wear and one for later as these will get destroyed.

Only minor complaint is they attach with 3M automotive tape and run the risk of trapping salt and moisture...however I will rectify that with a thin bead of Lexel Clear silicone. If you don't know Lexel, you doin' it wrong.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ok this time will let it pass … however in future all mods must be made of the finest Corinthian Leather! :p

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Finished sealing ABS sill and pinch weld armor then Went "mudding" which is Nebraskan for "off-roading".

It is a joke. Just driving through big puddles. However It was handy for mapping where stuff strikes the vehicle thus showing the "holes" in my armor.

Have ordered additional ABS panels for rear corners and leading edge for hood as a result.

ARB Bondi Deluxe and skid plate is on the boat from Darwin!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! We just got a 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Sarge green, black soft top and interior, 6 spd manual + 3.6L V6. It's a crap-ton of fun. Only problem on ours was the locks, windows and seats are all manual. No power anything. So my husband has added all the wiring for power locks and keyless entry and the driver's door is complete and working. The power actuators will be installed on the other 3 doors this weekend and the rear gate will be hooked up.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well, ARB cancelled my bumper order. Listed as lost in transit. Full refund issued before I even got the email.

So after some serious research, learned that the comparable EAG stubby is better than half the cost, and of identical construction...

Also found this concerning the EAG:
Head on Collision.
Jeep drivers uninjured. F-350 driver DOA.
Good enough for me.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Got a break in the weather so was FINALLY able to get new plugs in...
These musta been factory- could slide a dime through the gap!Good news is thanks to FCA adaptive engine tuning it ran just.

Members online

No members online now.