Oh no.. A Leak.. But from what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I just noticed this leak today, it is new as I inspect my Jeep maybe every other week. Anyway, the picture is looking at the connection between the front drive shaft and the front differential. Looks to me as it is part of the differential that is leaking. Anyone have an idea what it is and what the repair may be? Thanks

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 58

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply... What seal is it.. Is it a fairly simple to repair. I am knowledgable in the garage, but I would not change out a transmission or anything like that!

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
differential pinion seal, you have to measure torque before and after R&R

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, check to see if your radiator is leaking on the driver's side. i had what i thought was something leaking from my front diff, only to discover it was actually coolant seeping down the radiator and getting blown all over the lower engine compartment.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
differential pinion seal, you have to measure torque before and after R&R

Have no clue what that means, but I will look it up in the book and on line, then decide if I can do it. Thanks for your help.

No radiator leak for now!

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Changing front differential seal

I did a bit of research on this and figured out what needs to get done. 1st question, should I get a seal from the dealer or save $15 and get on line. There is also 2 ways to do this, you can keep the lock nut and mark the correct location of nut and count rotations until nuts falls off OR you can get a new nut and then you need the inch/pound torque wrench to figure out correct tightness.

Has anyone done this and which way did you complete the repair