mopar front engine skid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mopar front suspension skid

so I'm thinking about completing my skids with the mopar front suspension skid plate. I know there are others out there but I'm on a tight budget.. very tight :) not sure if this has been discussed much but I called 3 dealers, 2 say if my liberty doesn't come with one from the factory, I need the accessory kit which includes 2 mounting brackets as well as bolts... the third dealer said I only needed the skid.

so my questions are:

1. do i need the accessory kit or just the skid? (accessory is $85 but on back order, skid alone is $60)

2. if I need the accessory kit, if I ordered it online, how do I know if it comes with mounting hardware or not?

thanks!!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
accessory kit??? never heard of that before, whats suppose to be in that kit anyways?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Mopar skid for my 05 Renegade and it even came with the four bolts. There are already provisions in the engine crossmember to bolt it on. No accessory kit required. The Mopar ****** and transfer skids come with some nut inserts that you have to put into the frame but again, the provisions for the skids are already built into the Jeep's structure. If I could figure out how to scan stuff and post it here I would scan the instructions that came with the factory skids that I purchased. Install was S*** simple.

Attachments

• DSCN1057 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1057 (Medium).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm in the link LibertyTC posted, it shows 2 brackets along with the skid itself = "accessory kit"... I assume these just give it extra strength if it were to be crushed?

but then Tom & ptsb5a, mounts & accessory kit are unheard of..? haha

confusing...

goob2k

Reaction score
I just put the front skid on my 06 last weekend. It already had those brackets attached. It was part # 82210769.

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the front skid on my 06 last weekend. It already had those brackets attached. It was part # 82210769.

already attached to the KJ or the skid?

I emailed Jparts, their skid (#82210769) is the acessory kit.... if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your skid and how much was it?

goob2k

Reaction score
The skid already had the brackets attached. I bought the skid off moparpartsamerica.com for $48.96 + shipping. Their catalog listed the cheaper bracketless skid (and didn't list this newer one). After I placed the order, they said that Chrysler had revised the skid and wanted me to confirm that I still wanted it (and send them a bit more money). The price for the newer skid was $68.66

Last edited:

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By revised, do they mean added one piece of useless steel so that the can charge half again as much???? For that much of a price difference the revised skid should reach out and slap the rocks out of your Jeeps way...

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By revised, do they mean added one piece of useless steel so that the can charge half again as much???? For that much of a price difference the revised skid should reach out and slap the rocks out of your Jeeps way...

so I take it that the older model skid (w/o brackets) will work as well as the revised skid (w/ integrated brackets). it just depends if I want the extra steel or not for almost double the price...?

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I take it that the older model skid (w/o brackets) will work as well as the revised skid (w/ integrated brackets). it just depends if I want the extra steel or not for almost double the price...?

Don't know for sure, I've got the skids from '03, when I picked up my Libby. I'd have to see the "new and improved" ones to see if they are any better.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can scan!!!

Here's a crappy scan of the instructions that came with the motor skid. Note that they called it a Transfer Case Skid Plate when it's obvious that it's for the motor. Anyways, like I had mentioned in a previous post. It came with the 4 bolts and the "accessory" brackets installed. Wish they'd put the part number on there too. Can someone please explain how to put a picture into my post instead of just attaching a picture?

If anyone likes I can add the Trans and T-case and Gastank skid plate instructions as well. This scanning stuff is cool.

Attachments

• motorskid.jpg
    motorskid.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still want to see the accessory brackets:D

well the accessory skid is on sale for like $10 more than the normal one... so I'll just get the accessory one and fill everyone in on whats in the package :)

ordering now, I'll update when its here