Front driveshaft replacement part wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lorin0

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty renegade with a manual transmission and my cv joint on my front driveshaft went completely so I bought a new one on eBay from A-premium. When I tried putting it in I just couldn’t get it to fit into position no matter how hard I compressed it. I watched multiple videos and it became obvious the driveshaft was too big to fit by a couple inches or so. I took a picture of the new and original the side by side which I will attach. I contacted the seller, they requested my vin and the oem part number to confirm what part I need. They came to the conclusion that I need the version made for the automatic transmission . Has anyone else had this problem? I’m not really sure what part I need anymore as it seems silly to buy the one for the automatic (which is out of stock anyways). Also attached is a picture of my vin number, the page I bought the part from, and a picture of the label on the oem driveshaft. Not sure if anyone knows what’s going on but thanks in advance for taking the time!

Attachments

• 6D4A0AC6-AB9B-4D50-B6DD-6C6B499ADCB0.png
    6D4A0AC6-AB9B-4D50-B6DD-6C6B499ADCB0.png
    548.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 811665AB-4D9E-4039-B4C6-0FBDE84B5568.jpeg
    811665AB-4D9E-4039-B4C6-0FBDE84B5568.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 13
  • 07180EC2-5DE8-46BB-957E-8C75F44C359D.jpeg
    07180EC2-5DE8-46BB-957E-8C75F44C359D.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 14
  • FFF148D7-96DF-4068-83E4-2ABDDC917173.jpeg
    FFF148D7-96DF-4068-83E4-2ABDDC917173.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 15

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the bad end rebuildable? I'm not familiar with the manual versions but driveshaftparts.com sells the end kits and whole shafts. Ive rebuilt a few. You'd have to follow their measurement protocol for a whole shaft or contact them with your Vin or oe info.

Lorin0

Reaction score
Was the bad end rebuildable? I'm not familiar with the manual versions but driveshaftparts.com sells the end kits and whole shafts. Ive rebuilt a few. You'd have to follow their measurement protocol for a whole shaft or contact them with your Vin or oe info.
Bad end was toast I wouldn’t call it rebuildable. However I checked out driveshaftparts.com and they cross referenced the part numbers. They say this: « These Jeep front driveshafts come in 5 different lengths. We have noticed that working with the data from Jeep or even the original part number, we have had cases where the data is incorrect.
Due to this we ask our customers to confirm the length of the shaft before purchasing.
You will need the length between the two mounting flanges. This can easily be done even while the shaft is on the vehicle. »

Guess that explains everything. I was sent the 31.3 inch shaft and I need the 29.3. Luckily it’s in stock at driveshaftparts.com. Thanks for telling me about that.

24turbo

Reaction score
These driveshafts are rebuildable by prying off the end cap and removing the snap ring. The cv joint then slides off splines on the driveshaft.

If you don’t want the hassle of dealing with returns and possibly getting another wrong part, just remove the cv joints off the new driveshaft and install them on your existing driveshaft.
Buying new cv joints may have been cheaper but that is probably the easiest way to get it back together.

Last edited:

Lorin0

Reaction score
These driveshafts are rebuildable by prying off the end cap and removing the snap ring. The cv joint then slides off splines on the driveshaft.

If you don’t want the hassle of dealing with returns and possibly getting another wrong part, just remove the cv joints off the new driveshaft and install them on your existing driveshaft.
Buying new cv joints may have been cheaper but that is probably the easiest way to get it back together.
I definitely would have tried that if I didn’t go buying the right part so fast. pretty sure my splines are totalled anyways I drove it till it made unbearably loud noises. Initially I thought it was the driver front cv so I replaced that but turns out it was this.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind as well since, I just rebuilt my front driveshaft, Rockauto also sells complete front drive shafts and rebuild kits as well. You can check your part number when you click on a drive shaft and see if your number crosses with that part. Just food for thought for later. Rockauto still has a lot of Jeep Liberty parts available.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 with a 5 speed and took no chances with aftermarket - I rebuilt mine with a kit for cheap - 10 years on the rebuilt and still good.

Members online

No members online now.