Your favorite year for the Lib.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_L

Reaction score
Definitely the 02. I traded my 02 for an 05, just about the worst decision I ever made. The 42RLE transmission is a complete and utter piece of crap. At altitude (about 9500' and up), where the boiling point is much lower, the ****** overheats (trans temp), under only moderate uphill conditions. I've read that using low-range will help, but that's just ridiculous - why should I run higher engine RPM just to keep this crappy ****** cool? My 02 performed flawlessly on the same roads, no ****** heat problems. One other note, the 45RFE is a Jeep-designed ******, which is what belongs in a Jeep. The 42RLE is a car and minivan ******, and that's exactly where it belongs.

I've removed the 'Trail Rated' badge, as this vehicle is most definitely NOT qualified for such distinction. I am actively seeking a replacement badge - 'Grocery Getting and Soccer Practice Rated'.

Other than the extremely weak transmission, the 05 is just about the same, except I have ABS on the new one. Don't miss the ashtray, I like the higher foglamps, and the skid plate group is more complete. And it has about 60000 less miles on it than the 02!

Here's a quote from accurate transmissions, a leading ****** rebuilding outfit:

"The 3.7L Jeep Liberty was initially produced with a monster trans and converter set up that would probably outlast the vehicle ten times over. This was done because it's all Chrysler had to put in it when the vehicle was initially launched into production. It's the same unit found in the much heavier and larger 4.7L Grand Cherokee. This is great news if you're a current Liberty owner, but now Chrysler is making a change.

Effective mid-year 2003 (06/03) the 3.7L Liberty and 4.0L Wrangler are both getting a brand new unit design, the 42RLE. This is an interesting set up. Chrysler took the current trans found in the front wheel drive LH car series, a 42LE, and converted it to a rear wheel drive application and called it a 42RLE. In other words they took the guts and torque converter of a FWD trans and put it into a RWD case. This is great for us in the aftermarket; it will keep us busy for years to come"

Nice, just what I need to know - a ****** rebuild in my future.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I am biased toward my '05. I like the interior improvements and the additional lighting. I also like the body upgrades. I avoided the auto ****** issue by getting the 6-spd, which works very well with the 3.7L. I did not get ABS ( not a fan of it ) but the 4 wheel discs work well. Mine also has the NP241HD. If that front D30A was not so worrisome, I'd be in hog heaven.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
incommando said:
I am biased toward my '05. I like the interior improvements and the additional lighting. I also like the body upgrades. I avoided the auto ****** issue by getting the 6-spd, which works very well with the 3.7L. I did not get ABS ( not a fan of it ) but the 4 wheel discs work well. Mine also has the NP241HD. If that front D30A was not so worrisome, I'd be in hog heaven.

Agreed, 05 is the year they moved from a 5 speed to a 6 speed. So we've got the 6 speed transmission, Anti-Lock brakes (which are disabled in 4Lo, in case anybody didn't know that, so they don't hurt offroadability any), the nicer trail rated badge (of course). The extra skid plate + rock rail stock. Renegade + RME have the nicer flat hood and grill/bumper, as well as the clear rear taillight (no amber lens)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with that article quoted above. I have a 2003 that was built in May of 2003 (05-03), to which I picked up in July. I have the 42RLE ****** in mine. I have also driven my neighbors' early 03 sport (back when he still owned it) and he had the 45RFE in his. I noticed a huge difference in power, performance, and overall resposeivness. If I had a choice I would go 45RFE all the way, ALTHOUGH I have NO major complaints (so far). Only things i've noticed are the constant shifting around town (especially up hill) sorta gets annoying when in heavy traffic, and it's starting to take longer to shift into drive from reverse, probably due for a fluid change shortly. Other than that i've not had a single problem out of it.

palla

Reaction score
545RFE - CRD

Ive got a 05 Sport CRD & it appears to have what no-one has yet to mention. A 545RFE, I suspect its the bullet proof trans you guys love but I think the leading 5 means its a 5 Speed auto. Strangly thou there is only 3 forward positions on the shift so there must be 2 electronic overdrive gears that you cant select or something.

Palla

mckim

Reaction score
i'm surprised that no one's posted in here in almost 2.5 years, given that we're up to the '08 models (which just dun look right to me).

i'm biased to the '06 renegade since i have one and it's my first jeep. everything is pretty much factory on it still since i just bought it used couple days ago (before this i was tooling around in sports cars, but given the snow and terrain for new job location, needed something that could handle it).
i admit to knowing just about nothing to what any of the stuff means. the trail rated badge might as well be written in greek to me, but hopefully all that will change as i learn more about it.
anyways, getting off topic. '06 is my fav, recalled parts and all

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go back and look at my earlier post, I'd definitely revise it now. I said it'd be an 03, but NOW it'd definitely be an '04. Mostly because I have the exact model that I'd be most happy with. I couldn't have imagined that I picked my perfect Liberty right from the start without even realizing it but it looks like I did. Here's my pluses for the '04 Limited that I have (soem of them directly contradict what I said earlier, live and learn I guess).

1. Doesn't have a chrome grill
2. Smaller ****** (more foot room for passenger... don't believe me, go check it out for yourself)
3. Disc brakes all 'round
4. Non fold flat seats... the seat bottoms in the rear are WAY more comfy then the fold-flat later models cuz there's more padding.

BRASMAN

Reaction score
I like my 06 Renegade. Why? Because that is what I have. (woot)

The trany has not given me a problem and I go through some steep mountain roads. On the steepest I do notice the shifting thing you guys were talking about but my ****** light has never came on. The response of the line could be a little better also.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'06 because i have one (renegade)
i like the flat hood, ABS, ESP i have used the esp like lockers and it is not just my imagination, others have seen it working as well.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003, for the transmission, rear discs, & lack of ESP & IMO better looks. I can install the passenger handle above the glove box, then I have the coolness of an 03 & 04, & with my 4" lift, I don't have to care about pre-lowered 2002s!

Oh & I have one...rockon.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing how much mis-info was flying around in this thread. Everyone acts like the 42rle is complete garbage but its actually a decent ******. Thing just shifts like snot.

I agree with these:

4. Non fold flat seats... the seat bottoms in the rear are WAY more comfy then the fold-flat later models cuz there's more padding.

The back seats look sad once they took all the padding out. That was a cheap and stupid way to make them fold flat.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing how much mis-info was flying around in this thread. Everyone acts like the 42rle is complete garbage but its actually a decent ******. Thing just shifts like snot.

I agree with these:

The back seats look sad once they took all the padding out. That was a cheap and stupid way to make them fold flat.

I don't know about the quality of the 42RLE, but in my opinion, if it is constantly shifting it's the wrong transmission for the job.

That is the main reason I wanted to torch my 4.0L 2001 WJ... poor engine transmission match.

Members online

No members online now.