Your favorite year for the Lib.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gsan said:
Sorry, I'm not a ****** head, but what exactly can't they stand about the 42?

The 45 was a bigger ****** all around, and apparently was a tougher ****** (I have no actual proof of this, it's just what I've heard 2nd hand). If you got an 02 or early 03 automatic, you would have received the 45, and with towing or offroad packages you would have even received a ****** cooler to further enhance the ******.

With the 42 the ****** is a somewhat weaker design, and isn't as robust as the 45. It labours more on the everday drive and on even the slightest inclines you might find it constantly switching in and out of overdrive as it tries to reduce fuel consumption and then realizing there's not enough torque so it switches back down a gear. This constant switching tends to heat the ****** more, and to account for this, the ****** comes with a ****** cooler built right in, you can't get it without the cooler, they try to make it sound like it's super and fantastic by having a cooler as standard equipment... my belief is that it HAS to have it to prevent a catastrophe. Although I haven't heard of any real big breakdowns or failures of the 42 ******, I've heard a few complaints of the ****** light coming on (on the dash), and people having to stop their driving to let it cool (mostly it has been during towing applications or really intense off-roading).

uvalax236

Reaction score
I love my 02 however it would be nice to have all disk brakes...Personally, if the 02 had disk brakes, that would be the best year of the KJ...hands down!

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does seem like there have been some cost-cutting measures since the '02 model. I also think that a lot of the changes made are motivated by the desire to sell more cars to the masses (compete with the Ford Escape). I think any year Liberty beats a Ford Escape though :)

I second the notion that if the 02 had disk brakes, that would be the best year of the KJ...hands down...

m0th

Reaction score
Another vote for 02 (mine's an 02.5 though - lowered and 4x4 on the back not the sides).

I wish it had disks all round and the grab handle, but that's the only stuff I'd want from the newer ones. I love my understated interior, the newer ones seem very chromey. :)

And the 02 Renegade leather and cloth seats are great.

Do the newer KJs still have two power outlets in front? Mine has a cigarette lighter and an always-on outlet side by side.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in aus

the 04 has ciggy lighter and ashtray that fits in one of the cup holders so you can fill it with change and hide it if you want, but we get

in glass antenna, rear fog lights, ABS, a sexy spare tyre holder with a space to mount your nuberplate up high and out of the mud :-s

driver passenger and roof airbags standard

so i love my 04

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early '03 sport (march), so I guess I have the better ******; can't really tell. My mom bought an '05 sport, and I have to say I do like the early-model dash better. 4 wheel disc brakes are a definite plus in my book - I had an '88 Pathfinder that had 4 wheel discs and it was soooo nice (don't ask me about the @$$#0!& drunk driver who ran a stop sign right before I t-boned him #-o ) Only things I would really like in mine would be a) power seat (not heated, I live in AZ), b) EVIC (probably install one soon), and c) sunroof. Otherwise I really like my Lib!

Gsan

Reaction score
Rear fog lights?? braindead.gif

I've had an "understated interior" in my bottom-of-the-scrap-heap S10 for almost 5 years now. I like the "luxury" and brightness of my '05 Liberty Limited 28G. It's still plenty understated though. I armor-all'd the dash and was like "Holy crap, that's shiny! Go back to being all dull!"

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gsan said:
Rear fog lights?? braindead.gif

Ya so in bad weather your car is easier to see from behind. Its a red light the same brightness as if your brake light was on, and its (90% of the time) one light on the driverside of the car. I'm going to be adding this to mine as time goes by, in bad fog/snow I'd rather make myself as visable as possible to those around me.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What I find funny... I almost never hear about anybody complaining about the 42RLE in real life, and any complaints I hear are ONLY from Liberty owners, and only online. It's weird.

With that said... no A604/42RLE transmission complaints here, and yes I have driven a 45RFE before.

sbelkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to say the 2003 (not sure when it was built) because I did not know there was a differance. (I will have to check). The only thing I can see that would be a nice improvement is leg room but I get that in nearly all vehicles siince I am 6'5". :-({|=

I like the dash display, the 17" rims (Rocky Mt. Edition) as well the awesome 4x4 system.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sbelkins said:
I will have to say the 2003 (not sure when it was built) because I did not know there was a differance. (I will have to check). The only thing I can see that would be a nice improvement is leg room but I get that in nearly all vehicles siince I am 6'5". :-({|=

I like the dash display, the 17" rims (Rocky Mt. Edition) as well the awesome 4x4 system.

I am 6'5" as well, I can always use more leg and headroom \:D/

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
cool...couple of tall dudes here...6'6" here....y'all drive with ur seat all the way back?....im 3 clicks from it...cant drive with too much space....(got used to driving a neon....) so slightly cramped is good for me..(tho everyone always wonders why i drive like that, and they tend to think that the KJ is too small for me, until i move the seat all the way back)

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't drive with my seat all the way back either, don't know why, its just where I am comfortable. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
Trail Rated badges started in 04. You can call or e-mail Jeep and get one for free if you have a pre 2004 4X4 Jeep. I got one for my 03.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
OMG... I'm 5' 9" and drive with my seat all the way back. What's up with you peeps? How DO you do it????

oh, gotta show off the TR badge!
You must be registered for see images attach

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trail rated badge is bigger than all yours... in fact it's SO big, I can only provide a link to it! \:D/ owned.gif \:D/
Trail Rated

(it's even in 300dpi in case you wanted to print your own) kopkrab.gif

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
My trail rated badge is bigger than all yours... in fact it's SO big, I can only provide a link to it! \:D/ owned.gif \:D/
Trail Rated

(it's even in 300dpi in case you wanted to print your own) kopkrab.gif

=D> (rotflmao)