You’re thoughts about cold air intake system worth it? Or waste of time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to have a bit more air going into the stock box, do what I do,
I have a 3 inch hose running from the right side grill area back into the stock box
I also carry a " plug " to install in case I want to cover it to go into deeper water
Have that setup on both the 03 and 04
Been running it on the 04 for 15 years or so

CRDMX

Reaction score
I had a custom snorkel fab'd for my '05 CRD out of 3" alum tube, etc, here in Baja (pics on Lostj____ thread).

My motive was also to install a 2nd battery in place of the stock airbox. Done; now i have 2k CCA's which comes in extremely handy for engine-off accessory use & cold-starts (below 20f).

Am I happy with it? Sure. However, at about $300 Labor & & $175 Parts (incl. K&N cone filter) it was about 80% less to have the setup fabricated in MX vs stateside, an important consideration. I recall that the prefab'd black plastic KJ snorkel kits are what, $750?

Performance? Having an intake at the roofline does enable higher-water fording. But it also helps put your air-intake above both heated air radiating off of the asphalt in warm-climes as well as concentrated dust native to dry gravel/dirt roads. While the washable K&N filters are convenient they aren't very good at actual air filtration. I'm mulling mods to replace it.

While the snorkel setup certainly doesn't rob power I can't declare with technical certainty that it adds any. Maybe.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a custom snorkel fab'd for my '05 CRD out of 3" alum tube, etc, here in Baja (pics on Lostj____ thread).

My motive was also to install a 2nd battery in place of the stock airbox. Done; now i have 2k CCA's which comes in extremely handy for engine-off accessory use & cold-starts (below 20f).

Am I happy with it? Sure. However, at about $300 Labor & & $175 Parts (incl. K&N cone filter) it was about 80% less to have the setup fabricated in MX vs stateside, an important consideration. I recall that the prefab'd black plastic KJ snorkel kits are what, $750?

Performance? Having an intake at the roofline does enable higher-water fording. But it also helps put your air-intake above both heated air radiating off of the asphalt in warm-climes as well as concentrated dust native to dry gravel/dirt roads. While the washable K&N filters are convenient they aren't very good at actual air filtration. I'm mulling mods to replace it.

While the snorkel setup certainly doesn't rob power I can't declare with technical certainty that it adds any. Maybe.

750 ?? LOL
hardly, more like 350 or so

416kJ

Reaction score
If you want to have a bit more air going into the stock box, do what I do,
I have a 3 inch hose running from the right side grill area back into the stock box
I also carry a " plug " to install in case I want to cover it to go into deeper water
Have that setup on both the 03 and 04
Been running it on the 04 for 15 years or so

Hey all Some interesting replies , can you post a pic ? just curious how you plumbed it threw to the box

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all Some interesting replies , can you post a pic ? just curious how you plumbed it threw to the box
Just goes from edge of the grill almost straight back to the air intake piece that goes into the airbox
Just cut a round hole in it .
When you rev it up you can feel it sucking air into the tube so I know it works, plus being where it is, force fed at highway speeds as well

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just goes from edge of the grill almost straight back to the air intake piece that goes into the airbox
Just cut a round hole in it .
When you rev it up you can feel it sucking air into the tube so I know it works, plus being where it is, force fed at highway speeds as well
Aren’t you worried about taking in dust and other contaminants that may plug your air filter? I am thinking about places like Utah that have a dryer climate

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Aren’t you worried about taking in dust and other contaminants that may plug your air filter? I am thinking about places like Utah that have a dryer climate
No not one bit, all the states I drive in, not that dusty , well lots of dirt roads around here but I never follow anyone that close
,plus that is why they sell air filters every day of the week