You’re thoughts about cold air intake system worth it? Or waste of time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

416kJ

Reaction score
Hello all about last year I picked up a cold air intake off fleebay just curious you’re guys thoughts if anyone’s running them ? Is it even worth it does it make a difference ? Some people claim it give better gas mileage due to not being restricted and more free flowing ? This one doesn’t have a heat shield but I was goin to fab one up ,, if this things worth the trouble
I haven’t Installed it yet and not sure if I’d like to

Fleebay image
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
junk !!
The stock air box flows better with a plain paper filter like NAPA GOLD than any of those hot air suckers do
Its is not worth wasting even 50 cents on

416kJ

Reaction score
junk !!
The stock air box flows better with a plain paper filter like NAPA GOLD than any of those hot air suckers do
Its is not worth wasting even 50 cents on

Ye i figured ,,, what about about stock filters is it worth the money for a stock replacement k&n? is the only benefit it being reusable ? or is it actually proven better you think and serves the engine better ,

416kJ

Reaction score
I guesse I’ll throw up the air intake for sale on jiji lol ,, I don’t know , the way the factory air boxes look and function ,, the cold air intake does look like it would cause more harm than good anyway ,, it’s got great suction as is with factory box. ,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing they do is make a loud sucking sound making people think that they have more power in a Liberty

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done an oil analysis on two different Jeeps that have/had a K&N filter. Both came back with high amounts of silica in the oil and the report said to check for leaks in the intake system..... With that, one of the engines is getting close to 300K miles, so idk if it really hurts. Either way, no more K&N for me.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done an oil analysis on two different Jeeps that have/had a K&N filter. Both came back with high amounts of silica in the oil and the report said to check for leaks in the intake system..... With that, one of the engines is getting close to 300K miles, so idk if it really hurts. Either way, no more K&N for me.

Where/how do you do your oil analysis? That is something I have always wanted to do but have not.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The stock air box does filter better & also incorporates water drains.
In water crossings, the Jeeps can go up to the grille.
I'm afraid to ask what would happen with a K&N Filter if water got in.

Maybe time to add a half a bucket in there & see if it drains well..hmm..

Last edited:

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score

Best way to see if the K&N is killing your engine (it is) is to bore scope the cylinders for wear. Expect to see vertical scoring in the walls.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 04 up to the door handles , and that was with 4.5 inches of lift on 32s
now that got spooky , felt sorry for those that were only 31s and 3 inches of lift following LOL
Did you have a snorkle? I am debating getting one. One of my future upgrades is to the air intake, to make room for a second battery

wb2kki

Reaction score
Hello all about last year I picked up a cold air intake off fleebay just curious you’re guys thoughts if anyone’s running them ? Is it even worth it does it make a difference ? Some people claim it give better gas mileage due to not being restricted and more free flowing ? This one doesn’t have a heat shield but I was goin to fab one up ,, if this things worth the trouble

Fleebay image

wb2kki

Reaction score
I'm no expert just play one on TV (just kidding. ) Everything I have heard from so called experts is it is a waste of money and can even hinder performance.

jlgtx

Reaction score
Perhaps the definitive answer:

https://www.project200.com.au/dm-iso5011/

This was done several years back, and they didn't test an AEM (now K&N) Dryflow filter. I would hazard a guess that the Dryflow would probably fall somewhere between the oiled K&N and OEM paper in all categories.

If it's all about performance, you could have the best of both worlds (more airflow and OEM paper filtration) by retrofitting an OEM conical paper filter onto your CAI pipe. For example, the one for the GT350 Mustang, Motorcraft p/n FA1922. They're about fifty bucks each -- but, again, if it's all about performance...

Last edited:

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a race car where you are rebuilding or at least refreshing the engines after every event a cold air intake and K&N can give you a couple HP. For everything thing else they are a waste of time UNLESS they are a true cold air intake that can provide a bit of ram air. Not going to happen on anything that doesn't have an airbox with it's intake in a high pressure area. That was why the old muscle cars had the ducted intakes pulling air at the high pressure areas in the grill or at the base of the windshield. Even then they were a marginal improvement unless the car was moving fast enough to create any pressure.
As for any of the underhood kits, they are ALL a waste of time and money. Think about this, which area on a vehicle has the highest temperature air in it? The converters, then the engine compartment. Now look at where the converters are on modern vehicles! In the engine bay! Then they add a lower air dam to push air out from under the vehicle and a drip tray or skid plate to make the underside slick. Both of which block airflow and heat up the engine bay more. The stock systems draw in air from a fender well or up front of the core support through an insulating plastic tube and housing, trying to get cooler air. What do 99.99999% of the cold air kits do, remove all that, then add an open filter with maybe a heat shield, and metal tubing all pulling air from under the hood. Yeah that will help!!! As for the "they allow free airflow, maybe but VERY doubtful that is what you want. On a MAP system the airflow isn't as critical but on a MAF vehicle that free turbulent air can cause a lot of problems as the stock systems are designed to provide a more constant wave of air through the MAF, that is why many have the honeycomb in them, to better measure the air. With turbulent air you get an inconsistent charge, and worse you could create a system where the sensor is in dead air and really cause problems.

Ronald

Reaction score

Fleebay image
I leave everything stock , that way it runs the way the manufacturers want it to and doesn't void any warrantees , if the warrantees are over , its still the best way to go , the only thing I don't not keep stock is the brand of oil or the oil and air filter. going on 100,000 miles . You know the
old adage If it aint Broke don't fix it./LOL

Latest posts

Members online