Yet another cooling system thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ofelas

Reaction score
post #16 - that stat appears to be installed backwards, by the way.

Or has the coffee not kick started my brain yet.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a couple days old, but I think I agree, shouldn't the coil side go into the motor?

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The diagram^ is correct.
You must be registered for see images attach

sumosumo

Reaction score
OK, let's start with what happened, what I've done, and where I am now. And I have been reading through the threads, but I wanted peoples advice before I tear everything apart and start replacing parts.

OK, so 2 weeks ago, water pump was making noise, I made an appointment to get it looked at/fixed. Further investigation showed the pump pully could be moved about a 1/16th inch on the top. Obviously a bad bearing, so I expected the water pump needed replaced.

Needed to get into work the next day, and when I got home the coolant was overflowing. Didn't drive it again except to get to the shop.

Shop replaced the water pump, thermostat housing (they said it was warped,) and the thermostat. Two of the bolts broke, so they had to extract those and replace.

Drove it the next day to the store and gas station and it was fine. Local trips, less then 10 minutes each.

Drove it the day after to work, 30 minute drive, 70-75MPH, and it started getting hot 1/2 way there. Got up to about 3/4 mark by the time I got to work. Coolant was boiling and overflowing. Had to put coolant in at lunch. Noted that lower radiator hose was cold to touch, top hose was hot to touch.

Drove home on side roads back home, between 45-50MPH, and it was fine.

Took to shop next day. They come back and say they think the radiator is clogged.

So, took it to church on Sunday, local trip, 10 minutes, did fine, no overheating or boiling.

Yesterday, I noticed the coolant was to the top of the expansion tank, drained some coolant. Warmed it up, made sure no bubbles were coming out of the coolant bleed ***** thing on top of engine. (NOTE: that thing was on there tight like it had never been moved.) Took it on test drive. 45-55MPH gets to normal temp and stays there. Get on highway 70-75MPH and it starts going over that.

Today, drove into work, 45-55MPH normal temp. Get on highway going 70-75MPH it stays at normal temp for the 15-20 minutes I'm on highway.

At lunch, test drive down one exit on highway about 7 miles one way. 70-75MPH stays at normal temp. Turn around and come back, 80-85MPH it starts heating up.

So, I know the fan is working, that was kicked on yesterday after my test drive on highway. Coolant is all new HOAT. New water pump, and thermostat (brands unknown.) When the temp range goes above normal (1/2 way point,) I can cool it down by putting the heat on full blast. It will go back down to normal and stay that way.

At this point, if it's driving okay at 70-75MPH for my commute I'm willing to wait and see if it's just air needing to bleed out. I'll keep an eye on the cold level in the pressure tank.

So, from reading on here and elsewhere some possible things wrong.

1 - Could still have air trapped in system, could take several days, engine cycles to clear.

2 - Need to check the thermostat is installed correctly, and that it's not defective. Possibly replace with MOPAR unit.

3 - Need to check if radiator is clogged. I figure on doing that when I check the thermostat. I assume taking a garden hose, sticking it in the top hole, and watch the flow of water from the bottom is a sufficient test?

Thanks in advance.
Flush the radiator and then purge the air out of the system. U ake sure when you urge the air put the car on an incline so the air bubbles float u to the highest point its faster