wrong rad cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I had to replace my radiator cap because it would make a PFFFFFTT noise when I would take a right turn. I went to the part store and picked up a new one. The box says ST16 on it. It's a safety release 16 psi.

Today I wanted to test my anti-freeze and I was looking at the cap and noticed it says ST07 on it. That's a 7 psi cap. I've been running a 7 psi cap for the past ~35,000km. I've never overheated or had any boiling.

Is there any chance I may have caused any damage I don't know about? I'm pretty sure I'm ok but I just want to ask anyway. I can't believe the wrong spec cap was in the box. I just replaced it with one from the dealer.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. It been 7 psi, the thermostat surely opens itself more often than with 16 psi cap. What does it mean? well, that water was a little bit hot as it doesn't keep at radiator for a longer time.
You did the right think changing for the right rad cap.