Wrecked the KJ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so late last night (around 2am) I was heading back up from my Grandparents house on Hatteras Island in my liberty with the windows down and the radio up enjoying the warm weather. I was driving on a very rural road with trees on both sides and some nice curves, when all of a sudden I came around a bend in the road and my headlights reflected back at me. I was going 50 and barely had time to hit the brakes before I hit. There was a flat black Honda CRX sitting in the middle of the road with no lights on. It turns out that the 2 guys in the CRX were so Drunk that they had stopped and 'parked' their car in the middle of the street thinking that they were in a parking lot. The Sheriffs Dept and Highway Patrol came out and couldn't believe that no one was hurt because of the damage the Honda received. The car had a fibreglass body kit on it and when that was installed the owner had left the bumper substructure off so there was no protection in the rear at all. When I hit the car the hatch crumpled and sheared off of the car and was sitting on the ground in front of the car. The rear of the car was shoved almost to the front seatbacks (CRX has no rear seat) The cops also noticed that the taillights (what was left of them) were spray painted flat black like the body of the car and said that was probably why my headlights didn't pick up the reflectors until it was to late. The guy that was 'driving was so drunk that he couldn't tell the officers what his name was, or even what year it was. He also had no license, no insurance, the car had no tags on it and he had 2 warrants. I didn't have my camera so no pictures of the car. Now for the damage on the KJ:

You must be registered for see images

That is right all I suffered was some scratches, a cracked parking light, scratched up plate and knocked off the fog light trim. I knew the ARB was good (this is my 3rd ARB) but I expected more damage than this, especially considering the condition of the Honda and the noise it made when I hit.. I am very impressed!

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. Glad to hear everyone was ok. And your jeep. Just curious. I don't know if it is the camera angle or what but it looks like there is more gap on the driver side fender/bumper. You may want to have the frame and all looked at if that is the case. That is awesome about the ARB and this may have sold me on one in the future. Little lesson. If you do not have full coverage and don't want to pay for a liberty front end. Get an ARB!

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. Glad to hear everyone was ok. And your jeep. Just curious. I don't know if it is the camera angle or what but it looks like there is more gap on the driver side fender/bumper. You may want to have the frame and all looked at if that is the case. That is awesome about the ARB and this may have sold me on one in the future. Little lesson. If you do not have full coverage and don't want to pay for a liberty front end. Get an ARB!
the larger gap is because I got impatient when I installed the ARB and cut the flare too much on that side.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3 deer, two trees and a Toyota Camry with mine and still looks new.
Well worth the 200 I had to pay for it 6 years ago!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, hell of a story. Glad nobody was hurt. Those ARB buls must be uber tough.

Did your air-bag deploy?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really glad that nobody was seriously hurt. If somebody was in the back seat of the Honda they would have been killed.

Did the Liberty's airbags go off? The performance of your ARB is testimony to how sturdy it is. Now I want one.

What are the laws in your state for such an accident? Does your insurance have to pay or do you have to take the drunk to civil court? I hope he at the least gets some jail time to let him think about his mistake.

I have a pet peeve about people who illegally tint their windows, headlights & taillights.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, when I hit that roll of carpet that flew off a truck about 3 cars ahead of me at about 70mph and had no damage I knew the ARB is the only way to go for front bumpers. Glad you are ok and that you can keep on trucking.

For the litigation, as long as all that is in the police report you should be fine. I know my firm would not take that case on behalf of the Honda. However they would probably take yours and sue the hell out of the other guy. Did you want a second home? LOL. Not funny...but sort of.

Just glad you are ok.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure wish you could have got a photo of the CRX carnage.
Glad no one was hurt.
Arb +10.... Honda 0

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Glad you're OK.

They thought they were in a parking lot?

That's due to more than just alcohol.

And never post any title like that again. I was looking for carnage pics after thinking "Which KJ?" lol3.gif

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And never post any title like that again. I was looking for carnage pics after thinking "Which KJ?" lol3.gif

:D I almost took my wifes that night because it had more gas but at the last minute I decided to take mine because my Grandad wanted to check it out (He has an old Grand Wagoneer) I am glad I did, I don't wanna think about what the wife's would look like after hitting that car.

Members online

No members online now.