Wow, just put in a yellow top!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this battery! You guys HAVE to get one too. lol
Didn't want to spend the extra coin on a blue top SHOCKED.gif
Seems my mpg went up too kopkrab.gif (well ok, I've been doing alot of highway miles since) laugh.gif

Nice difference starting up, cranks like a 4 cylinder, quick and easy.

Next stop, rims and tires!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats,have a yellow top myself,duel posts,made a difference in the running of Libby.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would prefer an PC-1500 34-78 dual terminal Odyssey.
1500 initial cranking amps is way more than an Optima.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would prefer an PC-1500 34-78 dual terminal Odyssey.
1500 initial cranking amps is way more than an Optima.

Yeah but even the Optima is way better than the OEM battery. I am sure BjBnet will be fine with it.

Dave

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. The stock Chrysler batteries are not a sealed unit and can leak acid, with the removable caps. They also are only around 630 CCA. The Optima is a good upgrade over the stock battery for sure and not as expensive as the Odyssey.
From a longevity point of view and to maximize CCA the best battery still remains an Odyssey.
Just offering alternative product for those that are researching and browsing for a new battery, and for those that want to maximize the CCA because of amps,winch,or off road lights etc.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I still got the OEM one in mine. She still cranks and puts out real good. Will probably last forever cause I have 2 spares in the garage.....but if I didn't it would have puked by now. Murphy's Law.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Lead acid batteries create terminal acid corrosion!
Just having to use baking soda and a tooth brush on them makes me want to (blarg)

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear BjBnet...
But around here, the Optima blue top and Yellow top are the same price.
Not to mention the same battery with a different coloured top and the blue top
has two more places to hook electrical stuff onto!

ya sorry, I meant the Odyssey were too expensive.
The guy at the batt shop told me I'm better off with the yellow but if I wanted to switch I was more than welcome....(he meant of course how "I" use my KJ, no off roading or winches or anything of the sort)

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lead acid batteries create terminal acid corrosion!
Just having to use baking soda and a tooth brush on them makes me want to (blarg)

never had that problem...on any of my batteries. I have 3 in my boat and it's all god there too.
Then again, I spray my batt posts with some stuff that I can't remember what it's called....DOH!

Actually, back in the day I had a 1984 Toyota Celica and I remember having corrosion on the posts....learned back then about keeping them clean.icon996.gif

Side note to eveyone that hasn't tried these batteries....you need to bend the angle of the steel connectors that fit so neatly on the OEM batteries since the Optima posts are a bit further in towards the center.

Midgear

Reaction score
My battery is getting rather weak.. turning the stereo up to a good (loud) listening volume really makes the headlights do funky things.. course the 95 pounds of bass I have sitting in the back aren't really helping- startup is a bit sluggish, though it always cranks 2-3 times and fires every time, just does it a bit slower lol

Might go for an optima yellow top.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya sorry, I meant the Odyssey were too expensive.
The guy at the batt shop told me I'm better off with the yellow but if I wanted to switch I was more than welcome....(he meant of course how "I" use my KJ, no off roading or winches or anything of the sort)
Sears Diehard Platinum P4,about the same price of a yellow top and is a Odyssey PC1500(just gray).

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
oh well, it's done lol

It's OK .. Sears does not sell batteries in Canada anymore. They Diehards are supposedly sold by Green and Ross (they took over some of Sears' auto shops) but I could not determine if they are actually the same Diehards.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,
Ya I hear ya on the Sears, no auto centers left in Canuck Land eh..
Ask them if the Platinum is an AGM (absorb glass Matt) that may be the hint if it is or not, with 1500 CCA short burst.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be a "yellow" top, but I've had a good ol' Red top in my full size Dodge for over 7 years - in Arizona. I've yet to have to clean the terminals, or even studder when starting... Ok, there was one time it died when I accidently left the cargo light on - for a couple days. 3 hours on the charger and I've been driving it ever since.

Funny thing was - I went looking for a Optima for my Liberty, when it needed one. It was like they had disapeared from the face of the earth. Six months after settling for a cheapy, everyone is restocked - go figure.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I will clean the terminals (wire brush & Emery Cloth) and use "Vaseline" petroleum Jelly on the terminals.http://www.ehow.com/how_2210192_prevent-car-battery-corrosion-vaseline.html This keeps the corrosion to a minimum on all of my vehicle batteries.

The Red Top is a lead acid, and the yellow top is an AGM (absorb glass matt) they are both sealed, but keep in mind that if you have an AGM battery that needs manual charging, get one of the newer smart chargers that meet AGM specifications. Don't use old style battery chargers on AGM batteries!

The Odyssey is also an AGM sealed battery. AGM batteries can also be safely used inside a vehicle/RV/Boat.
PS If you are replacing the battery it is also a good idea to replace the battery temperature sensor pad while you are there. They are cheap at dealer, like $10?

Most corroded terminals can be found on batteries like the stock Chrysler battery, where is not sealed, and vents though the removable fill caps, but can exist on all lead acid posts.
Only Chrysler would think it is a good idea to install a non sealed acid battery on a off road 4x4, so close to the fuse block and local wiring. DUH. WTF?
Get out with the old and in with the new...AGM's please... and Thank You! At least I was thinking...too bad dealer's can't.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I will clean the terminals (wire brush & Emery Cloth) and use "Vaseline" petroleum Jelly on the terminals.http://www.ehow.com/how_2210192_prevent-car-battery-corrosion-vaseline.html This keeps the corrosion to a minimum on all of my vehicle batteries.
The Red Top is a lead acid, and the yellow top is an AGM (absorb glass matt) they are both sealed, but keep in mind that if you have an AGM battery that needs manual charging, get one of the newer smart chargers that meet AGM specifications. Don't use old style battery chargers on AGM batteries!
The Odyssey is also an AGM sealed battery. AGM batteries can also be safely used inside a vehicle/RV/Boat.
Most corroded terminals can be found on batteries like the stock Chrysler battery, where is not sealed, and vents though the removable fill caps, but can exist on all lead acid posts.
Only Chrysler would think it is a good idea to install a non sealed acid battery on a off road 4x4, so close to the fuse block and local wiring. DUH. WTF?
Get out with the old and in with the new...AGM's please... and Thank You! At least I was thinking...too bad dealer's can't.

Actually...

The Red Top is also AGM!
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/index.php

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood why we have battery temp sensors under the battery. Thought it was a joke at first.
Let me rephrase that, I know why the sensor is there but don't think it's necessary....ok..BASH ON! lol

Members online

No members online now.