Won't start - Various issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daswartz

Reaction score
2008 Liberty Limted.

Worked great until recently. Now it either won't turn over at all, or will start and then stop running after about 1.5 seconds.

First, the battery is brand new. I am also using a charger on start mode to make sure that the battery is fine. If I disconnect the battery and reset the system it will start and run until I turn it off. Then we start the process over again. I don't want any advice about batteries please.

Also - no check enginel lights or OBD errors. Nada. None.

Wierd issue 1 - If I do the battery disconnect/reconnect thing, I can use the key to unlock/lock the doors. If I then start and run the car 1 time after reset, the key won't unlock.

Wierd issue 2 - If the car has been run, and then won't start, if I lock the car manually, then use the key to unlock it, the alarm goes off. And then it stays on even when I start the car. I have to disconnect the battery to turn the alarm off.

Wierd issue 3 - Sometimes when it does the whole run for 1.5 seconds, then off thing, after trying this a few times, the car won't even turn over. At that point I have to disconnect the battery. After disconnect/reconnect - all is good again.

I have changed the ignition switch. It started right away and I thought fixed.. boom.. 17 bucks and done. But then after 1 trip around the block it died again.

Thoughts...

- Alarm malfunction?
- Ignition relay?

I'm really at a loss on this one.

Last edited:

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be to have a new key programmed for it, erase all the old keys. Sounds like a security issue

john e denson

Reaction score
I had a problem with my key. Worked fine till one day. It messed up the security system and would turn the engine off after a couple of seconds. I replaced the BATTERY in the KEY. WORKS fine now.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2002 KJ is 20 years old and I have not yet replaced the battery in either Key...I do not have a seperte keyfob....I find this a bit weird!

• Wow
Reactions: klc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.