Wont come out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tndulcimer

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Liberty I bought 2 months ago and on 2 ocassions when I went to shift into drive it would not come out of park. Started, wheel turned, foot on the break, would not shift. After a few tries, it worked. Any ideas? Is there something electronic that controls it? When I got the car they had to replace some module because the dash warning lights were coming on all the time. Any correlation to the module? The 2nd time it did this I took the key out and put it in the oposite way and it shifted right away. I am confused.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The shift interlock cable is located under the shift console. It is in need of an adjustment my guess. You can do a search under general forums for further info.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been told to pull up the e brake before you put it in park because that keeps it from getting stuck in park. I drove a friend's sidekick one time and couldn't get it out of park, once I told her to do that she never had a problem again.

But with these new cars it's all computerized so it probably doesn't even make a difference.

tndulcimer

Reaction score
Park

Well I had the dealer look at it. They state they took the console off and everything looked right. Does not surprise me since it has happened only once a month so far. Just waiting for it to occur again.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've always been told to pull up the e brake before you put it in park because that keeps it from getting stuck in park. I drove a friend's sidekick one time and couldn't get it out of park, once I told her to do that she never had a problem again.

But with these new cars it's all computerized so it probably doesn't even make a difference.

X2!

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occasionally have this same issue with my 2005. Usually when I'm in a hurry. For me, it seems I start trying to pull the shifter slightly ahead of applying the brake and the slight pressure on the shifter keeps the lock from unlocking. It's like my foot & hand reach their destinations at the same time, but my shootin hand is slightly quicker than my kickin' leg. I let go of the shifter, re-apply the brake first, then shift and all works with no issues.

joeatari

Reaction score
I had this problem this morning with my 2006. It seems that depressing the release button on the shifter more carefully and more deeply than "normal" finally released it from Park. I read elsewhere that someone was curious if higher than normal humidity may effect this. I live in a very dry climate and we had a huge rain storm the night before I had this problem, so I am suspicious that maybe there is a switch in there that may not be connecting as good when the humidity is high, or maybe there is dirt in there keeping it from contacting, especially when the humidity is high.

Latest posts

Members online