Woes after wading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm pretty sure I pushed the boundaries of wading recently and I've experienced some problems - all electrical it seems.
(I did search "wading" but didn't find a whole lot))

Twice when wading I've had a problem where the accelerator pedal doesn't seem to work. Apparently the KJs have a drive-by-wire throttle. Any idea on the location of this circuitry that seems to be getting drowned?

Other thing - this weekend I got stuck in some fairly deep muddy water. Long story short; after some further offroad driving i looked down and my engine was boiling. I literally stopped in a cloud of steam :( I feel like a dunce for not noticing the temp sooner, but it's not like I'm driving my old Mini which overheated at the drop of a hat.
On closer inspection I noticed there are two radiator fans. When I started the engine (while still very hot) only the larger yellow fan spun - and even then not fast enough to cool a HOT engine.

Questions:
Could I have shorted the fans?
What controls the 'clutch' in the yellow fan?
Any advice on how to waterproof all this stuff?

(I'm aware of the breathers on the trans/diffs that can be raised . I'll be doing this at some point)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 stay out of the mud it only cost you money
I have no clue about the drive by wire
As far as over heated you have multiple problems
Electric fan is done ,they don't like mud
Mech. fan clutches can wear out ,sounds like your issue
Mud can easily plug a radiator ,could also be your problem

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two relays for the fan. One with the rest of the relays and one tucked in behind the grill. Follow the wires to the one behind the grill, pull it off, take the cover off and clean it really well. Let it dry and put back together. If it doesnt work, check that relay. Happened on a buddies wrangler and on close comparison I do believe the kjs also have the same relay. I would test the connections with a multimeter to ensure its the relay and not the fan burned out.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
It wasn't really "mud*, just muddy water, so the radiator wasn't clogged.

I'm gonna check the relays then look at stripping/cleaning the fan.

As for the clutch on the 2nd fan - anyway to check if it's broken? It (the clutch) wasn't locking up when the engine got so hot
I found a youtube video showing a guy spinning a "bad" clutch. Should the fan be able to spin freely if the engine is not running? [edit] yes it should, but you shouldn't be able to stop it spinning while the engine is running

Last edited:

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found some interesting reading on how a viscous coupling works:
SD1 Visco fan

is it worth replacing the viscous fan with more efficient electric fans? I know there's an electric one there already, but if it might be knackered already, maybe replace both with an electric one with higher CFM rating. I *despise* the noise the fan makes when the coupling locks up

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
found some interesting reading on how a viscous coupling works:
SD1 Visco fan

is it worth replacing the viscous fan with more efficient electric fans? I know there's an electric one there already, but if it might be knackered already, maybe replace both with an electric one with higher CFM rating. I *despise* the noise the fan makes when the coupling locks up

I would just stick with the engine driven fan.
Noisy yes but as long as the clutch is good it will pull more
air than an electric unit.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just stick with the engine driven fan.
Noisy yes but as long as the clutch is good it will pull more
air than an electric unit.

Yes and know
To move as much air as my buddies dual flex a lite set up
I need to be at or near 2000rpm
He is at idle
He can turn his off to cross water
Due to hood vents I need my wipers on
Top of all that this time of year the mech. fan alone
does not move enough air to keep my AC blowing as cold
as I like it so the electric fan for the trans is on
this is on the trail mind you on the street it is fine

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Good news everyone! My electric fan is not poked like I thought it was. I hooked it directly to the battery and it whirred into life. So I reckon it's the relay.

I reckon the clutch is definitely poked though - the fan has a lot of play.

Fortunately I won't have to fork out for a new fan now, so just need to get a new clutch. hopefully it is just the relay on the electric fan and not some other fault.

Anyone know if the relay is anything special? i.e. available only from the dealer.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the relay in the engine-bay fuse box (40 - RadFan) and it's ok. I found a thread on here that said there are two relays that each control two speeds of the fan, but I can't find it again (can't remember what I search for). Are there two relays?
Where can I find the thermostat that controls the electric fan?