Winter is Coming! Frozen Windshields!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I know not every member lives in winter..but for those that do...
I know from experience how dangerous it can be to have your windshield re-freeze after using the windshield washer...you know what I mean...
That nasty -45 windshield washer fluid that freezes you over, just as you first get going, before the windshield is hot and it's -20+ outside!
SO I found this new product that I recently bought in prep for the jeep that gets added as a booster to your windshield washer fluid. Suppose to take it down to -50..almost anything seems to re-freeze until your windshield is nice and toasty. I am sure Ian has tried some products in Northern Alberta.
Will give this a try this winter when it is cold enough...
Anyone in the cold north had products that actually really worked?
37075[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• PrestoneBooster.jpg
    PrestoneBooster.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Is methyl hydrate paint job safe?
It probably is for HJ...

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't have the windshield freeze up but my spray nozzles did during a storm on the interstate in the mountains last year. The wind chill did it I think. I have a bottle of that stuff in the garage so I think I will use it this year. Thanks for the reminder, TC.

Dave

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wind chill

Didn't have the windshield freeze up but my spray nozzles did during a storm on the interstate in the mountains last year. The wind chill did it I think. I have a bottle of that stuff in the garage so I think I will use it this year. Thanks for the reminder, TC.

Dave

Wind chill only affects things with nerves, not nozzles. It may simply have gotten clogged with road salt/grime.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit a button from my warm apartment,18mins later my windshield is ice free:waytogo:.

Oh and I don't care that it wastes more gas,it's more then worth it getting into a fully warmed Jeep and no scraping of any glass required.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit a button from my warm apartment,18mins later my windshield is ice free:waytogo:.

Oh and I don't care that it wastes more gas,it's more then worth it getting into a fully warmed Jeep and no scraping of any glass required.

Did you know it's now illegal in several states to do this? I mean, I think it's ********, but it's freakin' illegal.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
We have the anti-idling laws...u got 3 minutes.
and your green freak neighbors might call one morning...and turn u in for a green$$ticket.
I have a GM 120volt electric heater on a timer that gets plugged in to heat the interior and melt the windshield, but that only works from home. Not good when it has sat all day at work and If I work late, I remember my windshield freezing over even at -6.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

x2, when I go to CO, I usually let the rental warm up for at least 10 mins.
So they say idling is wasteful...eh? How wasteful is it for emergency crews to get you if you get in a wreck because you couldn't see out of your iced up windshield... :freak3:

Yes, it is safe for the paint.
It also costs allot less and does the job!

Should be fine, just keep the paint around the windshield waxed.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know it's now illegal in several states to do this? I mean, I think it's ********, but it's freakin' illegal.

In our state remote start is legal but doing it without remote start is not.

It might be wasteful in an I4 or maybe even a V6 but with my V8 I waste more fuel by driving it cold than letting it idle for 5 minutes.

I find it easier to push the button to open my garage door and drive out. Windows are never frozen in my garage. :driver:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prestone makes a windshield de-icer in a spray can with a built in scraper. I never use the scraper but the spray is great for getting the ice buildup off the wipers and glass

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I think I am going to find some of that spray too, cause I don't have heated mirrors, and
darn its cold trying to use your hand to melt the ice on the mirrors.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok well I have decided on my own mixture with this -50c Prestone booster and give that a try.
The Prestone booster contains: Methanol, Isopropyl alcohol & ethylene glycol.
The De-Icer booster is made to mix with only 2.5 litres of -40 windshield washer fluid.
I think the Kj's reservoir is larger than that, so two bottles of the booster would be necessary my guess.
I found this 3.78 Litre jug of Nascar Advantage washer fluid that is good to -49c (-56F)
and I am going to mix two bottles of the Prestone booster into that (with some 20-10) and keep that in the reservoir and handy in the jeep if I need to re-fill.
37389[/ATTACH]"]

Fall & winter is a good time to consider these as well.
37391[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• PretoneNascarMixture.jpg
    PretoneNascarMixture.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • WindshieldClean8.jpg
    WindshieldClean8.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm in a Canadian Tire commercial hahaha.

Wind chill only affects things with nerves, not nozzles. It may simply have gotten clogged with road salt/grime.

That's not quite correct. The windchill value also determines how quick something will cool. If you just shut your vehicle and it's sitting outside at -20 it will cool at a certain rate till it gets to that temp of -20. Now, if it's -10 out with a windchill of -20, your vehicle will cool at the rate of -20 but will not get colder than -10, in other words, it will cool of faster.