Winter driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKay

Reaction score
without my jeep, i wouldnt be able to watch my daughter go sledging or play in the snow. i have very limited mobility. but today i did wish i had farkin mattracks! thank god for tractors.

im going to buy a set of yokohama geolanders i/t go72's

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes i wished my kj had abs(mainly in winter driving). i have an 03 sport that doesn't have abs.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting replies. When I bought my KJ I took a list of options I wanted into the dealer. It was the end of the year 0% clearout, so I wasn't sure if they could get all the options I wanted on a sport.

They found one in Alberta, and phoned me. "But," the salesgirl said, "It has ABS brakes." Well, I have had very limited experience with ABS and didn't really have an opinion, so I went ahead and bought this vehicle since it had everything else I wanted on it.

After driving it for 6 years, I still don't know if I like ABS or not. It just doesn't seem to be a big deal with this vehicle. Maybe because I run studded tires in winter, IDK. I know I don't have any control issues on winter roads, even ice.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my insurance renewal policy. I get $485 discount for ABS combined on both my Js. That's significant!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first winter with my liberty, and so far im thinking my 944 would handle better in the snow... Maybe its just that my tires suck(firestones) but i dont have the capitol for bridgestone duelers. Ive almost biffed it twice pulling into my subdivisions main entrance.

Even in 4wd im still begging for traction. I threw 350 lbs of sand in the back and that improved it some.

So is this one fallback of the liberty or is mine just special like that?

Don't know about your tires or DUN DUN DUUUUNNN.... your driving style.

Drove my liberty through snow on my stock Wrangler ST's (100% street tires) and never had a hiccup. Remember, your vehicle's heavy: 2 tons 'o fun. Heavy on the pedal will break traction pretty quick on street tires. My guess is you'll do much better with some AT's. But snow on the road never really posed me much problem. Slowing it down, gradual acceleration and 4hi and you should be good. (All that is null and void going down a steep hill in ice, though). 4 wheel *drive*, not 4 wheel *stop*:D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed - I am 28, married, multi-car discount, homeowner's discount, perfectly clean record, and I pay about $440 every 6 for the KJ. $500 deductible.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now can all terrian Tires be used in place of snow tires in Canada? Hell, I don't think there would be much of a difference between an A/T and snow tire.

To be honest too I really don't know what a "Snow Tire" is b/c when I hear snow tire I think of studded tire. So I'm assuming a snow tire is a street tire with an more agressive tread?

Another thing. Does the snow tire law also apply to vehicles visiting Canada From the States?

keep in mind this is the law in Quebec only (as far as I know) and not all of Canada. Studded tires are illegal in my area, don't know about the rest of the country. Look up snow tires on Google Image Search. No you are not required to have snow tires if you are visiting..... if that was the case I'd move out of this place ;)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've been driving since age 16 and have never caused a collision in the 28 years of driving.
Even with my top 43% discount, when it's time renew in December of this year, my insurance will set me back $1500.00!
That's how the British Colombians are going to pay for the useless 2010 Olympics.
When I lived in Alberta I only paid $478.00 per year.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving since age 16 and have never caused a collision in the 28 years of driving.
Even with my top 43% discount, when it's time renew in December of this year, my insurance will set me back $1500.00!
That's how the British Colombians are going to pay for the useless 2010 Olympics.
When I lived in Alberta I only paid $478.00 per year.
I feel for ya, socks. I've got a 35-year clean record, zero demerits, no tickets, accidents, nothing. (knock on friggin wood). I'm paying the same as you.