window troubles plz help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arizonakj

Reaction score
the other night my drivers side rear window fell down in the door I have the door apart but I can not see how the cable that powers the window attaches to the window. has anyone encountered this problem or know the most hassle free way of getting to the problem. thanks

arizonakj

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I described that correctly the metal wire that controls the window still functions. the motor for it is also fine just however the wire makes its connection to the window seems to have seperated

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the window regulator has fallen apart as mentioned by jeepjeepster,or you could be lucky and the glass may have come out of the runner,but past experience of this on different vehicles would point to the regulator being shot.

2003KJ

Reaction score
More than likely, it's the regulator. Not the first time i've heard of this on the KJ, and most certainly not the first time i've heard of this on a Jeep period.

What year is your Jeep? Still under warranty?

dnm45227

Reaction score
had to reaplace the regulator on the town and country (for what sound like the same problem), maybe "it's a DC thing, i don't understand". sorry couldn't resist.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regulators go bad, it's a fact of life and common to every brand, not just Chrysler. The only way the window can fall into the door is if, 1) it comes UNBOLTED from the regulator, jumps off the track, and falls down...in which case it would have shattered because it would have done a free fall and not gone straight down, either. or 2), the cable slipped. There are numerous places it could...out of the motor/pulley (cable ate through the plastic housing on my Ford once), the crimp that connects to the track the window bolts into came off, thus releasing the cable and letting the window fall, or the cable slipped off its grooves on the top and bottom of the regulator assembly where it loops over, giving the thing too much slack and letting it give in to gravity. Only way to find out if it is fixable at home is to try to look in there (good luck) or unbolt the window from the regulator, prop it up with a 2x4 inside the door, and unbolt the regulator assembly and pull it out of the door. If it's as simple as a busted crimp or the cable jumping the top or bottom of the assembly, it can be fixed with a second pair of hands to give you some slack while you force it back over the track, or recrimp and slip the end back into the assembly. If you ate through the motor/pulley/gear whatever...give up. Even if you do straighten out the mess of bent up cable, rewind it on the pulley, get the housing put together in a way that you think the cable won't jump track again, it will.

Worst case scenario you buy a whole new regulator for...say 60 bucks and do the job yourself in an hour.

dnm45227

Reaction score
plus the regulator for the town and country had to be riveted in, and not the little hardware store kind either.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's possible that the retaining clip that attaches the window to the track popped off. You should see a small stud on the window that slips into a white plastic/phenolic guide that runs up and down the track. There's a small C-Clip that holds the window on that, and if it pops out, the window will fall.

If it's not that, it's the regulator. i paid 125 at the dealer not to long ago, because i'm impatient. you can get em from ebay/online much cheaper though.

arizonakj

Reaction score
thank you all for the information, i guess following the trend thats it going to need that part... i will assume the 2 bolts (12 mils?) coming out of the door are likely holding the regulator in place behind the metal, am I correct? is that all that holds it in or is there something im not seeing. From what im hearing taking the mess out seems to be the easy part if its pulling the whole unit. working on it inside the door however seems near impossible. FYI if you dont have a lumbermill in your yard to use a 2X4 ill say that using THE CLUB to hold it in place has worked like a charm for anyone who may have this happen in the future. is this a part i need to go through jeep for or can I get it cheaper somewhere else?

thanks