Window Tint - FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty handy, I can do finish carpentry that is above average, paint clean lines without masking tape, model clay and epoxy, play a few instruments, and do basic finger magic enough to entertain my kids. But after trying and failing miserably to apply window tint from Walmart to the front windows on my '04 Libby I feel totally broken and without worth.

The rear windows and back window are factor tinted dark. I my state you can go 35% for the front side windows. I watched all the YouTube videos, got my materials together, took my time, and, well, after an hour of screwing with it it looked like s*it, had creases I couldn't nurse out and was too uneven for my critical eye. So off it came. $20 and a couple hours wasted.

Argh. This is one task I'll hire out I think.

Dan

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****...you're definitely not alone though. I don't think I would even attepmt it myself. I've seen way too many awful home garage done tint jobs that just look like complete garbage....coincidentally, most of the ones I see can be found right in the walmart parking lot.

At least you recognized it didn't look good and took it off....nothing worse than a tinted window loaded with bubbles and creases.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****...you're definitely not alone though. I don't think I would even attepmt it myself. I've seen way too many awful home garage done tint jobs that just look like complete garbage....coincidentally, most of the ones I see can be found right in the walmart parking lot.

At least you recognized it didn't look good and took it off....nothing worse than a tinted window loaded with bubbles and creases.

Thanks for the reply and support. Live and learn.

Dan

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I paid to have my fronts done too ... it was worth it. 4 years later and you would think it was just applied.
The only drawback (here) is that they are just a few % points lighter than the rear .. I don't love it, but they will only go to 25% at a reputable shop.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I couldn't do mine, I have enough problems with putting screen protectors on my phone. I got my fronts done about 5 years ago to match the rear (30% I think) for $90.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart tint was mistake number one. You wana get a nice 3m roll, its a little thicker and more forgiving.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did mine in early 05 in the driveway
still on no issues
just have to take your time