window again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all.....ok, love the liberty, but this window thing is a joke. Had the driver side back window regulator replaced under warrany a bit back. Now the passenger side back one went. If i opened this window ten times (knowing the issues with them i don't) that is alot. Was away and didn't use the jeep for 3 weeks, it sat in the hot sun and last night fired it up to run it, check the windows up and get the spininng motor sound....son of a @*$*&&
Anyway, is there any recourse with jeep......this seems to be a known issue like it should be a recall. i have 38,000 miles and am about 6 months out of warranty.....they want $107 for the window and $155 for the regulator. How hard is it to change? I think i saw on here awhile back someone has a fix.....anyone with that info i would appreciate it. Also, if i just block it off so it does not fall down (its taped up at the moment) i seem to recall someone did this also......can i put piece of wood or something inside.....how hard is it to do that????

thanks in advance.......ken

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many people on here who have resorted to doing it themselves, so I don't think it is very difficult to do if you are at all mechanically inclined. I don't know if I've ever heard of a surefire fix for these, especially since the regulators that Jeep now replaces them with are even worse than they were initially.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it yourself with a kit fix @ http://www.steigerperformance.com/

The parts is about $89, it comes with instuctions and pictures, and expect to spend an hour or two (depending on your mechanical skills) taking things apart and putting it back together. I myself am not an expert with repairing cars, but I did this and now I feel like I can do more!

BTW, the after market replacement kit is metal and not cheap plastic

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the kit.
I have one of the backs out on my 06 and its been out since I bought it over a year ago, and I use my windows everyday, and every time I park they go back up so they get used a lot and I have no issues at all.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'd never heard of that kit before. Would it work on an '02? They are the same regulators, right?