Winch options in my ARB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have got everything prepped, clearcoated and laid out to fit the ARB this month... but am thinking it might be easier to install a winch right away and be done with it so I don't have to take the bumper off next season.

So. The Warn M8000 seems to be the most common choice - but with the amount I plan to use it it seems a bit $. Probably need something for emergency recovery only and mostly utility (moving windfall trees mainly where I go).

Could I get away with a lighter (cheaper) winch in the 4-6000 lb range and still expect to be able to safely extricate the brick-heavy KJ? Was thinking a Smitty XRC-4 or M6000 or something similar.

A problem I see is the mounting holes, roller fairlead width and the little control box bracket - all ARB features/specs - need to fit the winch in question.

Anyone else using something other than the 8000s and 9.5s I see in all your photos? Sound advice welcome!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
On winches,go big ie. 8000+lbs. Have a 12000lbs myself,pull trees off trail,hillsides,used it today getting a 3800 series 57 chevy truck out and onto a trailer. Personally when I hook to something want it to come to me or me to it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The M8000 is your best choice and will work when you want it to unlike others of lesser quality.I'd like to know how you think a $550 winch is to pricey when you just dropped a grand on a bumper?

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The M8000 is your best choice and will work when you want it to unlike others of lesser quality.I'd like to know how you think a $550 winch is to pricey when you just dropped a grand on a bumper?

ROFL. (lol) Good point.

After what I've dropped on parts the last couple months... what's another $700 Canadian...

Am shopping for an 8000lb locally it looks like.

Up: Is this too good to be true? http://www.roughcountry.com/winches/electric-winch_rs9500.html

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The prices are definitely attractive!
$300 for a 9500lbs winch with steel
cable and $400 if you get synthetic
Cable.
The specifications look Good as well.
Didn't really get a good look at the
winch photo. I'm on Jen's iPhone and
the pictures don't enlarge enough.

I wonder what the warranty is?

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One year electrical two year mechanical. Pretty standard.

Am communicating with a sales rep on Jeepforum to get details. They offer a discount of 10% as well to jf members.

Looks better than the local one I priced at $449 thats made in China. Action trucks has some deals on Warn but twice the price if I get the wireless.

My OP intent was not to scrimp but Canadians get killed on pricing of a lot of gear and have spent A LOT on the KJ this season and just want to be reasonable.

If I do get this thing I'll do a writeup for install and then a brief review - have to move a 1' thick maple to get into my turkey hunting spot next month from what my cousin told me so will definitely need it... if I don't get it the little chainsaw is going to get a rough workout.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's chineese T-MAX, OEM variant. I have the same, but had to pay much more for it. be prepared for short cables - you can't install solenoid block far from winch wouthout changing cables.

Okay - exactly what I priced in Canada locally for $449 but no wireless. The RC version has a 100 foot cable and with straps, snatch blocks and limbsavers (which I now have) should be fine I think.

The solenoid block mounts on top of the winch stock which should clear the opening on the ARB - but I asked the question with the sales rep to be able to use the bumper's mounting bracket which would be centered and almost 2" above the top of the winch. Worst case I guess I'll have to use the 2 gauge cable I bought for my last truck's battery connections and a bit of coloured shrink tube or something instead?

We'll see - tomorrow will decide based on what I get back from folks I called or emailed - or some saving grace post here...

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid block mounts on top of the winch stock...
it don't work with ARB, unfortunately.
this winch has two options of solenoid block mounting, both don't work for ARB bumper, since winch on ARB is always bolted forward, and TMAX expected to be bolted down. not sure if anyone could understand what I've write =)
here is a pic, both winch's "round handles" look backward, so no standard mounting schemes for solenoids works. I just bolted solenoids to ARB's top plate (not shown)
so, few weeks ago, DIY jeep tuning, winter style :D
You must be registered for see images attach

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it don't work with ARB, unfortunately.
this winch has two options of solenoid block mounting, both don't work for ARB bumper, since winch on ARB is always bolted forward, and TMAX expected to be bolted down. not sure if anyone could understand what I've write =)
here is a pic, both winch's "round handles" look backward, so no standard mounting schemes for solenoids works. I just bolted solenoids to ARB's top plate (not shown)
so, few weeks ago, DIY jeep tuning, winter style :D

О! Это хорошо!

Not really clear from the pics but I know what you mean.

The solenoid should mount on the round handles / bars but are facing the vehicle of course. Yours is the TMAX 8500, on the Rough Country 9500 model I wonder like yours if the electrical cables will allow me to use the ARB triangular mounting bracket or might have to try reversing the RC bracket around to fit backwards... or like you bolt it somewhere else.

If you could get pics from above and front that would be great...

Now I totally understand why you were asking about accessing the clutch on that model, it does seem a little tight to get a hand with gloves in there. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48010

Your experience with that model might not just help me but others not going with a Warn.

Спасибо !

(Sorry about my Russian - cyrillic translations not so great with Google)

The TMAX didn't look exactly like this but close, right?

You must be registered for see images

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid should mount on the round handles / bars but are facing the vehicle of course. Yours is the TMAX 8500, on the Rough Country 9500 model
they are just the same, actually. same motor and gears, slightly different solenoid block - that's the only difference.
I wonder like yours if the electrical cables will allow me to use the ARB triangular mounting bracket or might have to try reversing the RC bracket around to fit backwards... or like you bolt it somewhere else.

If you could get pics from above and front that would be great...
will attach today
Now I totally understand why you were asking about accessing the clutch on that model, it does seem a little tight to get a hand with gloves in there. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48010

Your experience with that model might not just help me but others not going with a Warn.
now when I have it installed, I have no problem accessing it through ARB opening, clutch lever facing backward.
The TMAX didn't look exactly like this but close, right?

You must be registered for see images
winch block is absolutely the same, mine solenoid block a slightly smaller.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is how it looks like on my setup (white silicone is a mess, havn't time to clean it yet)
ps: yes, it's swimming cap )))

Last edited:

Liberator4x4

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to go pick up my new arb in a couple days (after waiting several months for them to make it) does it come with the bolts to mount my xd9000 to the bumper? I lost the ones that came with the winch.