Winch mount on stock bumper.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’de love to install a Warn winch on my 03 Kj and keep the stock bumper. I know ARB had a winch capable bumper but it adds a significant amount of weight to the truck plus its not cheap. I’ve seen people using Detours Backbone winch mount but i doesn’t sound like they make them anymore, I couldn’t even find company’s website. In some older threads i’ve seen people building their own winch mounts and posting design plans. Unfortunately those pictures don’t work anymore, so I’m wondering if anyone has any good designs for a winch mount or knows where to get a pre-made mounting plate?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to make a mount to mount a winch with keeping stock bumper
Seen some done but they would never, ever hook onto me, I like my KJs too much to have a flying winch mount hit me

ARB may sound expensive BUT they are the best overall for doing their job
Plus even with a winch youre going to need new suspension so why not got all the way

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
backbone is predominantly one piece of folded/bent metal. only the shackle ears are welded on.

pidd

Reaction score
I’de love to install a Warn winch on my 03 Kj and keep the stock bumper. I know ARB had a winch capable bumper but it adds a significant amount of weight to the truck plus its not cheap. I’ve seen people using Detours Backbone winch mount but i doesn’t sound like they make them anymore, I couldn’t even find company’s website. In some older threads i’ve seen people building their own winch mounts and posting design plans. Unfortunately those pictures don’t work anymore, so I’m wondering if anyone has any good designs for a winch mount or knows where to get a pre-made mounting plate?
Dirt lifestyle on youtube shows how to make one

GottaCRDKJ

Reaction score
I bought a flea bay JK winch bumper, they're the same width just need a little modification to attach to the front end and trim some plastic to look nice. The guy over at Dirt Lifestyle on youtube built a bumper for his wife's KJ, its a good watch to see what you need to cut and mod for structure on to that front end.

GottaCRDKJ

Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but looks like they cut the cross member out and replaced it with the winch mount?!?!?!?
Bumper skin is cut and the bumper "crossmember" is gone. I guess if you want concealed and not worried about crash protection you have it.
Although it's probably the lowest weight option I've seen

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumper skin is cut and the bumper "crossmember" is gone. I guess if you want concealed and not worried about crash protection you have it.
Although it's probably the lowest weight option I've seen
Or using as a winch either, but im just an armchair engineer, what do I know.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cutouts for the name are a bit much. I’d want to simplify that part.

Latest posts

Members online