Winch install opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

claudio

Reaction score
I get this baby from a guy who own me some money =D> , so now i am looking on how do i install it, i was thinking in build two receivers one for each side y think this will give me more strength and is more simple than take the bumper out to put one receiver at the center, please opinions god? bad? thanks.

Claudio

You must be registered for see images

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few hitch companies out there that make the adjustable hitches. I.E. : They fit many different vehicles, so they completely bolt together. They are still class 3 and rated up to 10,000 lbs. I think, so maybe you could just find one of these and get a single winch reciever mount, made by quite a few winch companies and use just one reciever instead of two. I have seen people pullling 8,000 lb. vehicles on the single reciever model and everything worked just fine.

Just an option for you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why the rear hitch can only take 5k and the front one can take 10k? My rear is actually rated alittle higher than the stock on at 7500lbs. But i would think the rear would be alot stronger than the front?

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just depends on the hitch that you purchase. My buddy has one on his truck that is the bolt together type that is capable of 8 or 10 K lbs. I wasn't necessarily saying it was going to work perfectly, but on many full size trucks and many other vehicles they the front reciever hitch for parking campers, moving boats, or hooking winches in. It was just an idea that seemed a lot simpler then installing two recievers.

matt2wheels

Reaction score
I just ordered a front hitch from Draw-Tite, it's a 1 piece and rated to 9000 lbs line pull. Hidden Hitch also makes one but it's a 2 piece bolt together affair. It's a standard 2" receiver, and most off-road suppliers as well as Draw-Tite and HH offer removeable winch mounts. Or fab your own (that's what I'm going to do). All you have to do is buy/fab an adapter to mount your licence plate to the receiver when you're not using the winch. With enough wire you can use the winch in the back also. There are heavy duty connectors available from most auto parts places for 0-6 guage cables, they're generally used for jumper cables on tow trucks, but put that on the winch cables a badda-bing-badda-boom you've got a removeable winch.

Also from a fabricator's standpoint, you will probably never be able to get 2 receivers square enough with each other that the winch can be easily mounted. Horseing a 90 lb winch into a single receiver is tough enough.

That's my opinion. Last I checked it was worth 1.3 cents on the market.

mf

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call matt, I didn't even think of being able to get everything squared up. I figured somebody would have a front hitch out soon, but didn't have the time to search around for who made them.