Widest tire on MOABs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the widest tire I could fit on 16x8 MOABs? I had 265/75s on my stock 16x7 alloys. Which was supposedly the widest I could go in that rim. Anyone know the widest I could go staying around the 245/75 diameter? I'm not good with the whole tire numbers thing.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the widest tire I could fit on 16x8 MOABs? I had 265/75s on my stock 16x7 alloys. Which was supposedly the widest I could go in that rim. Anyone know the widest I could go staying around the 245/75 diameter? I'm not good with the whole tire numbers thing.

way wider than you can fit on a KJ
people run 12.5's on them
I am running 11.5's on my 15 X 7's ,the foot print across the tread is closer to 12 when measured

it simply allows for lower PSI to be run

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
way wider than you can fit on a KJ
people run 12.5's on them
I am running 11.5's on my 15 X 7's ,the foot print across the tread is closer to 12 when measured

it simply allows for lower PSI to be run

well i have around 3.75" of lift. plus spacers. Do you have a pic of yours?

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
to keep the same diameter of the 245/75 go with a 265/70. i dont think youre going to be able to get much wider then a 265/70 on a MOAB under a KJ.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
to keep the same diameter of the 245/75 go with a 265/70. i dont think youre going to be able to get much wider then a 265/70 on a MOAB under a KJ.

Times two, any wider you'll be rubbing outside, inside and all around theres not that much room in the fenders for bigger

Plus I read somewhere that you are running Moabs with spacers???? That will even make it worse as far as hitting the flares.

Last edited:

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Times two, any wider you'll be rubbing outside, inside and all around theres not that much room in the fenders for bigger

Plus I read somewhere that you are running Moabs with spacers???? That will even make it worse as far as hitting the flares.

Even if my fenders look like this? Or is it the rear of the flare I need to worry about? I was thinking like a 285/65-16 (30.59" diameter, 11.22" wide) and I can easily take the spacers off if they would be a problem.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Picture doesn't show me anything. More than likely it will hit when turned hard left or right, when making turns with high curbs,and off roading unless you have a lot of bumpstops etc.

I have more lift than you and running 3 inches of bumpstops in the rear, had two but wasn't enough, , ARB in front and still comes close in front and real close in the rear with 265-75s
With the Moabs and added spacers....too wide

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picture doesn't show me anything. More than likely it will hit when turned hard left or right, when making turns with high curbs,and off roading unless you have a lot of bumpstops etc.

I have more lift than you and running 3 inches of bumpstops in the rear, had two but wasn't enough, , ARB in front and still comes close in front and real close in the rear with 265-75s
With the Moabs and added spacers....too wide

sorry that was the wrong pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

these are 265/75s
I would take the spacers off. idk I guess tomorrow I'll have to turn the wheel and see how close it comes when turning. Then maybe my ignorant ass will believe you.

and on a side note. did you cut down your CV's?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
http://jeepinbyal.com/JAVIERPOLLOCK.aspx

He can have wide tires but I cant? :icon_sad:

It also says he has 5 inches of lift
not sure but from the looks of it, its sort of pieced together. The way its built I would not take it off road as I see problems with flexing and hitting the flares.
Again if you only drive to the mall go for it, and thats what that one looks like it is. Sorry if the owner is on here but many people built them and never go anywhere off road .
I build them to go anywhere I want, not have to worry about hitting the flares or wondering if I can turn the wheel and have something hit.
If you want biggest throw some 35's on and be done with it. Of course you'll need to do 3 to 4 point turns but you want the widest.
Don't ask a question and have people give you answers and then you come back and still not believe them.
Go for it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After I did my last lift upgrade I checked ( in my driveway before hitting the trails) to see how the rear tires would stuff up in the wheelwells.
Now tell me how you are going to run wider tires and still go offroad any at all unless you install 5 inches of bumpstops. Here is with 2 inches, went to 2.5 to stop some of it.
Moabs and 265-75-16s Pretty full isn't it:shrug:

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I did my last lift upgrade I checked ( in my driveway before hitting the trails) to see how the rear tires would stuff up in the wheelwells.
Now tell me how you are going to run wider tires and still go offroad any at all unless you install 5 inches of bumpstops. Here is with 2 inches, went to 2.5 to stop some of it.
Moabs and 265-75-16s Pretty full isn't it:shrug:

Tom.... loose the mud flap and you'll be fine just like that......:happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom.... loose the mud flap and you'll be fine just like that......:happy175:

Just run them in the winter to help keep crap off the rear bumper. You don't see them in other pictures do ya?? :happy175:
And no not fine, have plenty of tire rub marks inside the flares, no getting away from everyone knowing that its been wheeled. :shrug: